Re: [LearningTechnologiesSIG] Re: Interactive white board?

  • Salvatore Averna
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 27, 2009
      Hi,
      I use Hitachi Starboard, Smartboard and Interwrite. Promethean's style is
      good if you work with younger children. If you work with iperactive children
      you'd better choose one which allows you to operate with your fingers: pens
      are going to be broken or stolen soon.
      In terms of costs, Hitachi is the best one (large and cheap). It also works
      with scratches on it. In terms of SW and resources Smartboard is more
      interesting.
      So, I use a HITACHI STARBOARD FX-DUO 77" and the Smartboard devices with it
      (Notebook 10).
      The board is on a trolley, provided with a boom where the the projector is
      hooked.
      This way you can move the whole equipment from room to room.
      My next step will be ebeam which is less expensive and allows you to use any
      white surface, even a wall.
      Hope this helps,
      Sal
    • Rodney Mantle
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 28, 2009
        Hi Andy,
        You have already had a lot of helpful tips: you mention that it is a largish classroom. Here in China the classes are big and eyesight often poor. A while ago I was involved in an IWB project in Beijing; the demonstration class was about 15, and all went well. When I raised the question of visibility in larger groups, I was told that significantly bigger IWBs were some way ahead. You might need to check the maximum size of boards available from the three main manufacturers.
        Best wishes,
        Rodney

        Rodney Mantle
        Lecturer in English
        Shanghai International Studies University
        Overseas Training Centre, Room 202,
        410 Dong Ti Yu Hui Road, Shanghai,

        200083, P. R. China
        Office tel.: 00-86-21 6542 1290

        Home tel.: 00-86-21-6528 1003

        E-mail: rodneymantle@...
        Mobile: 00-86-13611617295
        UK mobile: 00 44 (0)7876-567623

        To: LearningTechnologiesSIG@yahoogroups.com
        From: andyhol@...
        Date: Sat, 25 Apr 2009 09:03:51 -0700
        Subject: [LearningTechnologiesSIG] Interactive white board?

        Hi

        I have been asked to cost an interactive whiteboard for a largish classroom. We want something with its own projector. Does anyone have experience of the best ones to buy? It will be well used by many teachers so it needs to be sturdy.

        Andrew Holbrook

      • Barbara
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 29, 2009
          Hi Rodney
          Have a look at Smart's Sympodiums. The teacher or students have a tablet to write on and the 'interactive whiteboard' is a very large screen. i think it was designed for lecture theatres. Here's a link http://education.smarttech.com/ste/en-US/Classroom+solutions/Product+news+and+resources/Sympodium+interactive+pen+display/ Good luck!
          Barbara