Re: [LearningTechnologiesSIG] Volunteer Online Moderators Wanted For IATEFL Conference

  • Dennis Newson
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 13, 2009
      Ruth,

      Hi. I know you asked Nick, but I guess this is an open forum.

      My understanding of IATEFL conferences is that they don't have themes. There
      are presentations from across the board. I can imagine that is highly likely
      that someone will be talking on the areas you mention.

      Dennis

    • Gavin Dudeney
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 14, 2009
        Ruth,

        The Annual IATEFL Conference never has a theme, it's a broad brush look at the profession featuring over 200 talks and workshops and over 1,600 f2f participants. This online part is an IATEFL & British Council collaboration to try to get the conference to as many people as possible.

        As for your question on writing, I think your observation is probably correct, and what an excellent thing that is!

        Gavin

        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 17, 2009
          Hi Ruth,

          You asked about the IATEFL conference:

          "What is the theme for this year's IATEFL conference please? "

          I think it's pretty generally ELT, but it is huge so there is a vast range of topics covered

          "I find it
          strange that there's no theme that includes communicative learning on
          line really. Is this a thing of the past? "

          I'm sure this will be covered by someone there and can be discussed on the forums.

          "Has structured writing been replaced by blogs and social networks?"
          I don't think it's been replaced by them. Hopefully they are just new genres of structured writing. I try hard to give my blog postings a consistent structure. I think it's one of the key features of successful writing. (Along with actually having something to say of course)

          Hope to see you online at: http://iatefl.britishcouncil.org/2009/

          Best wishes

          Nik Peachey | Learning Technology Consultant, Writer, Trainer
          Teacher Development: http://nikpeachey.blogspot.com/
          News and Tips: http://quickshout.blogspot.com/
          Student Activities: http://daily-english-activities.blogspot.com/
          My Office in Second Life at: http://tinyurl.com/ytz5go

          "I'd rather learn from one bird how to sing than teach ten thousand stars how not to dance"
          e. e. cummings