talking about YG: is it still worth?

  • carlos_teacher_77
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 26, 2009
      Hi all SIG members,

      Sorry to switch the topic like this, but a colleague and I are
      working on YG and two questions arose that I'd like two discuss with
      you:

      1) Many teachers have used YG with their students for different
      purposes (promoting Ss-Ss interactions, receiving homework, keeping
      in touch, course management, offering extra practice among many
      others). However, it seems to me that there are not many
      publications about the use or the implications of YG in SL or FL
      instruction. The space of publications seems to have been taken up
      by wikies, blogs, and other more advanced online technologies. Am I
      wrong?

      2) There seems to be a "natural development" in YG that appears to
      emcompass phases of cheer and abundant participation and phases of
      apparent apathy. Do you think this is so for every group? Is it
      normal? Or then again, is it just me and my friend?

      3) Now that Facebook and so many other resources are rapidly
      evolving and taken up attention and popularity, would you say YG are
      gradually becoming a thing of the past? Would this be somehow
      connected to the other two questions?

      I'll welcome any comments. Thanks. Sorry about the lengthy post.

      Carlos Mayora
      Universidad Simón Bolívar