Learning technology updates + the launch of my site for learners

  • Nik Peachey
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 1, 2008
      Dear All

      Hope those of you based in the northern hemisphere have
      had a good summer break and are recharged and ready to go for the new
      school year.

      Here's some new materials from my learning technology blog which I hope will help you.

      I've
      been looking at a site which explores the concept of the year book
      photo graph since 1950 and have written some suggestions for how we can
      use this to create entertaining and motivating teaching materials.
      http://tinyurl.com/6dzyau

      I've
      also been exploring Text To Speech (TTS) technology to see if it really
      has the potential to be a tool for language development. I would
      welcome your comments here at:
      http://tinyurl.com/58xkol

      I've
      also been looking at a new website for 12 Second 'microblogging' and
      seeing how we can use this with our students. There are also some
      embarrassing examples there which I've created.
      http://tinyurl.com/5qgjvd

      For
      those of you with teen or older students who are interested in Manga
      style art work, I've been looking at ideas for for creating and
      exploiting a manga image creation tool.
      http://tinyurl.com/69tmjp

      I've also add some quick links to shorter articles.
      A site that provides ready made language learning activities using authentic video clips.
      http://tinyurl.com/5ksh26

      A new 3D virtual world which runs in an ordinary browser through Facebook
      http://tinyurl.com/68xpsb

      A great new Karaoke site to get your students singing in English
      http://tinyurl.com/5nfmb2

      I've
      also republished my presentation on Social networks and the Web 2.0
      revolution. This time with links and descriptions of all the sites
      mentioned
      http://tinyurl.com/6yj7gt

      And last but not least. A search engine which can help you find free ELT books which you can downlaod and print.
      http://tinyurl.com/65r6ao

      My
      last piece of news is that I'm counting down to the launch of my new
      free site for EFL ESL learners called 'Daily English Activities.
      This
      site will be for students who want to work autonomously online to
      develop their English, or for teachers who want to provide home work
      tasks to their students to encourage the development of IT skills and
      learner autonomy. The site will be update every day with new activities
      and many of the activities will be things that students can do every
      day to improve their English. I hope to have the first activities going
      live within the next week so keep an eye on:
      http://daily-english-activities.blogspot.com/

      Many thanks for having the patience to read this far.

      By all means leave comments on the blogs

      Best

      Nik Peachey | Learning Technology Consultant, Writer, Trainer
      http://nikpeachey.blogspot.com/
      http://quickshout.blogspot.com/
      http://daily-english-activities.blogspot.com/
      Visit my office in Second Life at: http://tinyurl.com/ytz5go
    • vinita singh
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 2, 2008

        Nick
        Your involvement with learning and maintaing the site facinates me. Yet I wish to see the instuments required to assess students/ teachers involvement with any type of Blogging. I think the area can be Language Skills [Receptive as well as Productive]/ Dialogue/ Pragmatics/ Mltiple Intelligence/ Body of Knowledge/ Social intelligence. Be it Self assessment or secondry. Perhaphs you check your involvement of creating such site as how many members/people open the site. Yet how do you know they Use the site? I am asking as objectives fulfillment goes till its attained.

        Vinita

      • Nik Peachey
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 3, 2008
          Hi Vintia

          All good questions regarding student teacher
          involvement and measuring goal attainment of blogs / websites etc.
          These aren't really things that i write about on my blog , but they are
          things that I am involved in doing pretty much everyday as that's one
          of the ways that I make a living (sadly I don't make a penny from the
          blogging!) as a consultant.

          It's actually possible to get a huge
          amount of information from tracking users to websites. Understanding
          that information and interpreting it to see how the site or blog
          achieves its aims is a complex process but much of this depends on the
          aims of the site itself.

          Personally, for me and my blog, my most
          reliable indicator is the people who write to me or leave comments on
          the blog. Whether its a website, a language lesson or a blog, the
          people you deliver your service to are always going to be thee most
          informative ones to speak to.

          Email: nikpeachey@...