Re: [LearningTechnologiesSIG] telephone recording

  • Nik Peachey
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 26, 2008
      Hi Darren

      You asked about recording the telephone. A simple and free solution for this is to use Skype (free internet telephone software www.skype.com) for your telephone calls and use Pamella ( a free plugin) to record them. It records the conversation as Mp3 straight onto your computer, and computer to computer calls are free (Computer to phone calls are also extremely cheap)

      I wrote ablog article about this with a video of how to set it up etc, if you're interested.
      http://nikpeachey.blogspot.com/2008/05/skype-part-1-recording-audio.html

      Hope you find this useful

      Best

      Nik Peachey | Learning Technology Consultant, Writer, Trainer
      http://nikpeachey.blogspot.com/
      http://quickshout.blogspot.com/
      Visit my office in Second Life at: http://tinyurl.com/ytz5go
      Email: nikpeachey@...
    • Shams Bhatti
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 27, 2008
        Dear Nik

        Would you please tell if there is any telephone
        recording facility like Pamela for Mac. This software
        only supports Windows. Thank you for your help. I
        should say that your blog is a great hub for
        e-learning.

        Shams

        --- Nik Peachey <nik.peachey@...> wrote:

        > Hi Darren
        >
        > You asked about recording the telephone. A simple
        > and free solution for this is to use Skype (free
        > internet telephone software www.skype.com) for your
        > telephone calls and use Pamella ( a free plugin) to
        > record them. It records the conversation as Mp3
        > straight onto your computer, and computer to
        > computer calls are free (Computer to phone calls are
        > also extremely cheap)
        >
        > I wrote ablog article about this with a video of how
        > to set it up etc, if you're interested.

        http://nikpeachey.blogspot.com/2008/05/skype-part-1-recording-audio.html

        > Hope you find this useful
        >
        > Best
        >

        > Nik Peachey | Learning Technology Consultant,
        > Writer, Trainer
        > http://nikpeachey.blogspot.com/
        > http://quickshout.blogspot.com/
        > Visit my office in Second Life at:
        > http://tinyurl.com/ytz5go
        > Email: nikpeachey@...

      • Geoff Taylor
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 29, 2008
          Hi Shams

          On 27 Aug 2008, at 20:05, Shams Bhatti wrote:

          > Would you please tell if there is any telephone
          > recording facility like Pamela for Mac. This software
          > only supports Windows. Thank you for your help. I
          > should say that your blog is a great hub for
          > e-learning.

          Hope you don't mind my input. Haven't used this myself, but googling
          around, it seems there's a Skype plug-in for Mac called "Call
          Recorder" that might fit the bill.

          http://www.ecamm.com/mac/callrecorder/

          You can download a free (7-day) trial, and then if you like it, it's
          $14.95 for a full licence.

          MacWorld gave it space:
          http://www.macworld.com/article/56990/2007/03/callrecorder.html

          Here's a nice review from a couple of years ago "Simple Skype
          Recording Utility":
          http://blogs.oreilly.com/digitalmedia/2006/06/simple-skype-recording-utility.html

          Geoff Taylor
          St Clare's, Oxford
        • carldowse
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 30, 2008
            Hi,

            Yes there is an application that I have been using on my Mac for some
            time now and am very satisfied. The link is
            http://www.ecamm.com/mac/callrecorder/ and it costs about $15.

            Hope this helps,

            Carl

            --- In LearningTechnologiesSIG@yahoogroups.com, Shams Bhatti
            <shamsinelt@...> wrote:

            > Dear Nik
            >
            > Would you please tell if there is any telephone
            > recording facility like Pamela for Mac. This software
            > only supports Windows. Thank you for your help. I
            > should say that your blog is a great hub for
            > e-learning.
            >
            > Shams
            >
            > --- Nik Peachey <nik.peachey@...> wrote:
            >
            > > Hi Darren
            > >
            > > You asked about recording the telephone. A simple
            > > and free solution for this is to use Skype (free
            > > internet telephone software www.skype.com) for your
            > > telephone calls and use Pamella ( a free plugin) to
            > > record them. It records the conversation as Mp3
            > > straight onto your computer, and computer to
            > > computer calls are free (Computer to phone calls are
            > > also extremely cheap)
            > >
            > > I wrote ablog article about this with a video of how
            > > to set it up etc, if you're interested.
            > >
            > http://nikpeachey.blogspot.com/2008/05/skype-part-1-recording-audio.html
            > >
            > > Hope you find this useful
            > >
            > > Best
            > >

            > > Nik Peachey | Learning Technology Consultant,
            > > Writer, Trainer
            > > http://nikpeachey.blogspot.com/
            > > http://quickshout.blogspot.com/
            > > Visit my office in Second Life at:
            > > http://tinyurl.com/ytz5go
            > > Email: nikpeachey@...

          • darrenrelliott
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 30, 2008
              Hi Nick,

              Thanks for the suggestion. I'll check it out, but to be honest I've
              had varying luck with skype - I don't think I've ever had a call in
              whic the connection didn't cut out. I'm also thinking that most
              people I want to call don't have access to skype. I know that skype
              to landline phonecalls are easy to do, and very cheap, but I would
              prefer to call from landline to landline. Does anyone know of a lofi
              gadget I can attach to a phone?

              Ta,

              Darren

              > --- Nik Peachey <nik.peachey@...> wrote:
              >
              > > Hi Darren
              > >
              > > You asked about recording the telephone. A simple
              > > and free solution for this is to use Skype (free
              > > internet telephone software www.skype.com) for your
              > > telephone calls and use Pamella ( a free plugin) to
              > > record them. It records the conversation as Mp3
              > > straight onto your computer, and computer to
              > > computer calls are free (Computer to phone calls are
              > > also extremely cheap)
              > >
              > > I wrote ablog article about this with a video of how
              > > to set it up etc, if you're interested.
              > >
              > http://nikpeachey.blogspot.com/2008/05/skype-part-1-recording-
              audio.html

              > > Hope you find this useful
              > >
              > > Best
              > >

              > > Nik Peachey | Learning Technology Consultant,
              > > Writer, Trainer
              > > http://nikpeachey.blogspot.com/
              > > http://quickshout.blogspot.com/
              > > Visit my office in Second Life at:
              > > http://tinyurl.com/ytz5go
              > > Email: nikpeachey@...

            • Nik Peachey
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 1, 2008
                Hi Shams,
                You asked for ; "any telephone
                recording facility like Pamela for Mac"

                Sorry for the delay in replying. I see that by now you already have some suggestions sent in by other list members.

                The laack of plugins for Skype on MAC is a bit annoying, however there is a lot of good stuff for mac.

                Best place to start looking for mac friendly stuff is: http://www.apple.com/downloads/

                LOADS of stuff there, though I couldn't find anything there o help with your problem.

                Good luck

                Best

                Nik Peachey | Learning Technology Consultant, Writer, Trainer

                http://nikpeachey.blogspot.com/
                http://quickshout.blogspot.com/

                Visit my office in Second Life at: http://tinyurl.com/ytz5go
                Email: nikpeachey@...
              • Graham Davies
                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 5, 2009
                  You have to be a bit careful about making telephone recordings.
                  Obviously, you must always seek the permission of the person being
                  recorded. When an interview is recorded, separate copyrights exist in

                  (i) the words spoken,
                  (ii) the recording itself.

                  Initially, the owner of the copyright in the words spoken is the
                  speaker, while the copyright in the recording belongs to the person
                  or organisation which arranged for the recording to be made. UK
                  copyright law already covers these issues, so the default situation
                  is that the speaker initially has the right to determine what is done
                  with his/her recording.

                  There is a page on the legal and ethical implications of oral history
                  at the website of the Oral History Society:

                  http://www.ohs.org.uk/ethics/

                  Graham

                  --- In LearningTechnologiesSIG@yahoogroups.com, "darrenrelliott"