Re: [LearningTechnologiesSIG]

  • rjdickey@content-english.org
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 7, 2008
      Neville,

      The email "merge" program Worldmerge will merge your basic email
      with a database (excel file, whatever), sending individualized
      messages to each participant based on the info in the database.
      (name, email, course subscribed, etc). It has a scheduling device,
      but I'm not sure how far in advance you can schedule.

      It wouldn't be that hard to write a little program, running off the
      system clock, that activated the Worldmerge program on a certain date,
      which would then send the mails... if distant dates were beyond
      Worldmerge. (I'm not at that computer, such that I can check).
      Worldmerge is free, with limitations, and the full version is pretty
      cheap.

      Rob

      Quoting "Neville P.L." <p.l.neville@...>:

      > Hullo all
      >
      > Regarding distance delivery of a teaching programme, is anyone aware
      > of a means to automatically email timed communications to course
      > participants? I am thinking of a system where targeted emails are
      > sent at (i.e.) one month before the course / three weeks before /
      > two weeks before, etc. Such a system would need to keep track of
      > emails that have been sent, and play catch-up if someone registers
      > late.

      Robert J. Dickey, MPA JD
      Assoc. Professor, School of Foreign Languages & Tourism
      Gyeongju University Gyeongju, Gyeongbuk S. Korea 780-812
      Tel: +82-54-770-5136 Cell (Korea): 016-834-0968
      FAX: (Korea) 054-748-2824 (USA - eFax) +1-270-423-5135
      Email: rjdickey@...
      Yahoo Messenger - robertjdickey GoogleTalk - rjdickey
      Skype - rjdickey MSN Messenger - rjdickey

      content-based language learning (Content-Based Instruction)
      http://www.content-english.org
    • Robert J. Dickey
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 8, 2008
        just confirmed on my personal machine.

        Worldmerge does allow for scheduling the send many day/months in the
        future.
        http://www.coloradosoft.com/worldmrg/index.htm

        hope this helps.

        Rob

        --- In LearningTechnologiesSIG@yahoogroups.com, rjdickey@... wrote:

        > Neville,
        >
        > The email "merge" program Worldmerge will merge your basic email
        > with a database (excel file, whatever), sending individualized
        > messages to each participant based on the info in the database.
        > (name, email, course subscribed, etc). It has a scheduling
        device,
        > but I'm not sure how far in advance you can schedule.
        >
        > It wouldn't be that hard to write a little program, running off
        the
        > system clock, that activated the Worldmerge program on a certain
        date,
        > which would then send the mails... if distant dates were beyond
        > Worldmerge. (I'm not at that computer, such that I can check).
        > Worldmerge is free, with limitations, and the full version is
        pretty
        > cheap.
        >
        > Rob
        >
        > Quoting "Neville P.L." <p.l.neville@...>:
        >
        > > Hullo all
        > >
        > > Regarding distance delivery of a teaching programme, is anyone
        aware
        > > of a means to automatically email timed communications to
        course
        > > participants? I am thinking of a system where targeted emails
        are
        > > sent at (i.e.) one month before the course / three weeks
        before /
        > > two weeks before, etc. Such a system would need to keep track
        of
        > > emails that have been sent, and play catch-up if someone
        registers
        > > late.
        > >

        > Robert J. Dickey, MPA JD
        > Assoc. Professor, School of Foreign Languages & Tourism
        > Gyeongju University Gyeongju, Gyeongbuk S. Korea 780-812
        > Tel: +82-54-770-5136 Cell (Korea): 016-834-0968
        > FAX: (Korea) 054-748-2824 (USA - eFax) +1-270-423-5135
        > Email: rjdickey@...
        > Yahoo Messenger - robertjdickey GoogleTalk - rjdickey
        > Skype - rjdickey MSN Messenger - rjdickey

        > content-based language learning (Content-Based Instruction)
        > http://www.content-english.org

      • Gavin Dudeney
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 9, 2008
          [ apologies for cross-posting ]

          Hi,

          We're undertaking a 'state of the nation' survey of what's currently
          happening with IWBs in language learning and teaching and would be grateful
          if you could find the time to fill in the following survey IF you use IWBs
          in your work:

          http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=xYKB_2fOAV43EbTL9v4gPwvQ_3d_3d

          Thanks very much in advance for your assistance.

          Gavin

          c/ Ceramica 54, 08035 Barcelona, Spain

          Tel: +34 93 427 4240 | +44 20 7193 0770

          http://www.theconsultants-e.com <http://www.theconsultants-e.com/>

          Winners: 2007 British Council ELTON award - http://tinyurl.com/3e2c54

          Winners: 2007 Ben Warren Trust Prize - <http://tinyurl.com/6yolo4>
          http://tinyurl.com/6yolo4

          Owners: Second Life EduNation sims - http://tinyurl.com/34l8mw

          Sponsors: UK Moodle Conference - http://www.moodlemoot.org
          <http://www.moodlemoot.org/>

          CONFIDENTIALITY AND DISCLAIMER NOTICE

        • Christoph Hafner
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 9, 2008
            Hi Gavin,

            Any plans to disseminate the outcomes of this? I don't use IWBs (yet) but
            would be interested to know what you find.

            Christoph Hafner

            On Wed, Jul 9, 2008 at 9:36 PM, Gavin Dudeney <
            gavin.dudeney@...> wrote:

            > [ apologies for cross-posting ]
            >
            > Hi,
            >
            > We're undertaking a 'state of the nation' survey of what's currently
            > happening with IWBs in language learning and teaching and would be grateful
            > if you could find the time to fill in the following survey IF you use IWBs
            > in your work:
            >
            > http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=xYKB_2fOAV43EbTL9v4gPwvQ_3d_3d
            >
            > Thanks very much in advance for your assistance.
            >
            > Gavin
            >
            > Gavin Dudeney - Project Director, The Consultants-E
            >
            > c/ Ceramica 54, 08035 Barcelona, Spain
            >
            > Tel: +34 93 427 4240 | +44 20 7193 0770
            >
            > http://www.theconsultants-e.com <http://www.theconsultants-e.com/>
            >
            > Winners: 2007 British Council ELTON award - http://tinyurl.com/3e2c54
            >
            > Winners: 2007 Ben Warren Trust Prize - <http://tinyurl.com/6yolo4>
            > http://tinyurl.com/6yolo4
            >
            > Owners: Second Life EduNation sims - http://tinyurl.com/34l8mw
            >
            > Sponsors: UK Moodle Conference - http://www.moodlemoot.org
            > <http://www.moodlemoot.org/>
            >
            > CONFIDENTIALITY AND DISCLAIMER NOTICE
            >
            > This email and any attachments are private and confidential. It is intended
            > for the recipient only. If you are not the intended recipient, any use,
            > disclosure, distribution, printing or copying of this email is
            > unauthorised.
            > You may not read, use or take any action in reliance on it. If you have
            > received this email in error please notify the sender immediately by
            > replying to this email and permanently delete the email from your computer.
            > The contents of any attachments to this e-mail may contain software viruses
            > which could damage your own computer system. While we have taken every
            > reasonable precaution to minimise this risk, we cannot accept liability for
            > any damage which you sustain as a result of software viruses. You should
            > carry out your own virus checks before opening any attachments.

          • Gavin Dudeney
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 10, 2008
              Christoph,

              It depends on the uptake, I guess - if we only get a couple of surveys then
              it won't be worth the screen it's displayed on, but if we get enough data
              then I think it will certainly be of interest. The survey itself is a broad
              brushstroke survey to gauge uptake, training and a lot of other things, but
              I'm sure there will be some useful data in there if we get enough bulk.