Getting students to blog/comment

  • s_justin76
    Message 1 of 9 , May 11, 2008
      Hiya, new to the forum and looking for help.

      I'm using a blog with my evening class which they seem to like taking
      information from but seem very reluctant to contribute to.

      They've got their own blogs but most seem happier giving homework to
      me in class, and there's hardly any cross-commenting between them.

      Any ideas how I might encourage them?

      Cheers,

      Justin
    • Carla arena
      Message 2 of 9 , May 13, 2008
        Hi, Justin,

        You might want to take a look at this comment challenge I'm taking part of,
        mainly check the readings for Day 10 and 12.
        http://commentchallenge.wikispaces.com/31+Day+Comment+Challenge+Activities

        Also, remember that blogging is a habit, as well as commenting, so it takes
        time for everybody to settle down. Check if you're encouraging comments or
        if you're just using your blog as informational.

        I hope it helps!

        Carla Arena
        http://explorations.bloxi.jp
        http://brazilnaskeywest.wordpress.com

        On Sun, May 11, 2008 at 12:27 PM, s_justin76 <gecko76@...> wrote:

        > Hiya, new to the forum and looking for help.
        >
        > I'm using a blog with my evening class which they seem to like taking
        > information from but seem very reluctant to contribute to.
        >
        > They've got their own blogs but most seem happier giving homework to
        > me in class, and there's hardly any cross-commenting between them.
        >
        > Any ideas how I might encourage them?
        >
        > Cheers,
        >
        > Justin

      • Richard Turnbull
        Message 3 of 9 , May 13, 2008
          Hi Justin

          I have a similar situation. They are all keen to do their individual blogs
          but don't seem to comment on each others. I experimented with a class blog
          that linked to each students blog but that didn't really help. The best way
          I found is to do an occasional treasure hunt activity, where they have to
          search each other's blogs to answer a question sheet you make. This worked
          really well and led to cross-commenting and dialogues forming, albeit
          limited ones!

          Good luck!
          Richard

          Message 4 of 9 , May 13, 2008
            Dear Richard and Justing,

            That's exactly why this comment challenge is an eye opener for the
            possibility of establishing conversations in blogs. It helps us identify
            where we need to work on to encourage dialog.

            Take a look and you'll see there are many resources to help you.

            Also, the conversations will depend on the kind of activities you're asking
            from students, if their posts lead to conversations, how the group is
            tracking each other's post. There are many variables involved. There are no
            formulas for establishing those conversations, but we can try different
            approaches to connect them.
            http://commentchallenge.wikispaces.com/

            Regards,

            --
            Carla Arena
            http://explorations.bloxi.jp

            On Tue, May 13, 2008 at 9:50 AM, Richard Turnbull <richard@...>
            wrote:

            > Hi Justin
            >
            > I have a similar situation. They are all keen to do their individual blogs
            > but don't seem to comment on each others. I experimented with a class blog
            > that linked to each students blog but that didn't really help. The best
            > way
            > I found is to do an occasional treasure hunt activity, where they have to
            > search each other's blogs to answer a question sheet you make. This worked
            > really well and led to cross-commenting and dialogues forming, albeit
            > limited ones!
            >
            > Good luck!
            > Richard

          • Nik Peachey
            Message 5 of 9 , May 13, 2008
              You could try something like this: http://skribit.com/
              which describes itself as "user-generated content suggestion application for blogs."

              basically it lets users make suggestions and vote on each other's suggestions, for the content or any other aspect of the blog.
              I'm guessing though that the answer isn't just technological, though something fun like this might help, it probably has to do with the kinds of comments you want the to produce and the 'public' element to commenting.

              Hope this helps

              Best

              Nik Peachey | Learning Technology Consultant, Writer, Trainer

              http://nikpeachey.blogspot.com/
              http://quickshout.blogspot.com/

              Visit my office in Second Life at: http://tinyurl.com/ytz5go
              Email: nikpeachey@...

            • Barbara Dieu
              Message 6 of 9 , May 13, 2008
                Ouch, Nick..this Skribit thing looks like a McBlog's business. It's
                the result of Supercrunchers. Have you or anyone read the book?
                http://www.randomhouse.com/bantamdell/supercrunchers/
                What kind of logic are we being led to adopt? Where is the love?
                Where is the poetry and art?
                Maybe I am old-fashioned.
                Warm regards from Brazil,
                Bee
              • s_justin76
                Message 7 of 9 , May 14, 2008
                  Thanks all, some good stuff there.

                  I'll try it out and let you know how it goes.

                  Cheers,

                  Justin
                • vbenevolofranca
                  Message 8 of 9 , May 23, 2008
                    --- In LearningTechnologiesSIG@yahoogroups.com, "s_justin76"
                    <gecko76@...> wrote:

                    > Hiya, new to the forum and looking for help.
                    >
                    > I'm using a blog with my evening class which they seem to like taking
                    > information from but seem very reluctant to contribute to.
                    >
                    > They've got their own blogs but most seem happier giving homework to
                    > me in class, and there's hardly any cross-commenting between them.
                    >
                    > Any ideas how I might encourage them?
                    >
                    > Cheers,
                    >
                    > Justin

                    Hi Justin,

                    I've just joined the sig discussion and saw your post.
                    We've been developing a project with all our teachers and students at
                    Cultura Inglesa (Brazil) and what we've found (from a careful analysis
                    of teacher/student blogs) is that if the task is challenging enough
                    and actually comes from the learners themselves them they will post
                    comments.
                    So, we've reached the following conclusions:
                    - Class Blogs need full authorship by whole class;
                    - Tasks/Blogs need to be proposed/composed by teachers & students
                    (this avoids sts responding to teacher all the time;
                    - Comments come when the task is interesting/self-selected - one of
                    the most successful ones we've seen was sts's creating their own
                    secrets based on the postsecret blog (http://postsecret.blogspot.com/)
                    and then commenting on each other's posts.
                    -Class blogs used for hw/exercises similar to classwork get no student
                    interaction going.
                    We are developing this project bit by bit - let you know if in the
                    long run we get better posting/commenting results.
                    bye for now,
                    Valéria
                  • Gavin Dudeney
                    Message 9 of 9 , May 25, 2008
                      Folks,

                      Not sure how many of you were at the SLanguages 2008 conference in SL
                      yesterday (it's all a bit of a blur now!), but if you were, please remember
                      that we would dearly like your feedback. You can give that here:

                      http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=WjFUzZYjHK2p_2fJlTfl8YqQ_3d_3d

                      or by leaving a comment on my blog here:

                      http://slife.dudeney.com/

                      Thanks in advance,

                      Gavin