Re: [LearningTechnologiesSIG] Video and text

  • Nik Peachey
    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 20, 2008
      Hi James

      If you want something free and easy to use you could try Video spin
      http://videospin.com/
      It is also integrated with various free video sharing sites too so you can quickly upload to your site of choice when you are finished. I prefer it to the built in windows movie maker.
      If you want an online alternative you could try dotsub. http://www.dotsub.com/
      There's a review of it on my blog here:
      http://nikpeachey.blogspot.com/2007/09/subtitling-your-video-clips.html

      If you are trying to create clips from commercially produced DVD then you could use Handbrake
      http://handbrake.fr

      Which is free software for windows and Mac and allows you to rip sections of DVD along with the subtitles and save them to various formats including those suitable for portable devices such as i-pod, phone, PSP etc. Legal restrictions apply though of course.

      best

      Nik Peachey | Learning Technology Consultant, Writer, Trainer

      http://nikpeachey.blogspot.com/

      Visit my office in Second Life at: http://tinyurl.com/ytz5go

      Email: nikpeachey@...
    • james wilson
      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 2 4:49 AM
        Hi All,
        I was wondering if anyone knows of good hardware and software for recording class room events and one to ones and setting up a nice portfolio online that includes narrative comments edting etc.

        I am considering a bid for some funding to develop this project and would like to have an idea of the costs involved.

        Thanks in advance
        James

        James M.Wilson
        e-Learning Developer

        Writtle College,
        Chelmsford, Essex,
        England. CM1 3RR
        T: (0044) (0) 1245 424200
        F: (0044) (0) 1245 420456

      • Ruth Vilmi
        Message 3 of 16 , Mar 7 3:06 AM
          Hi James,

          Olympus has a little Digital Voice Recorder (VN-1000PC), USB2.0, with
          over 17 hours of recording. My friend recorded some voices at my last
          art exhibition (unknown to me at the time). The voices in the audience
          were quite clear though she was not close to them at all. No-one was
          aware of what she was doing. You can listen to the results in my blog at
          http://www.writeit.fi/ruth/2008/03/02/ruth-vilmis-merrymaking-in-leap-year-2008-exhibition/

          I have since bought one for 50 EUR.

          Hope this helps:-)
          Ruth Vilmi

          james wilson wrote:
          > Hi All,
          > I was wondering if anyone knows of good hardware and software for recording class room events and one to ones and setting up a nice portfolio online that includes narrative comments edting etc.
          >
          > I am considering a bid for some funding to develop this project and would like to have an idea of the costs involved.
          >
          > Thanks in advance
          > James
          >

          > James M.Wilson
          > e-Learning Developer
          >
          > Writtle College,
          > Chelmsford, Essex,
          > England. CM1 3RR
          > T: (0044) (0) 1245 424200
          > F: (0044) (0) 1245 420456

        • Gary Motteram
          Message 4 of 16 , Mar 7 4:51 AM
            Hi James

            I agree with Ruth about the Olympus recorders, these are very good and
            highly portable. A higher quality option is the Marantz Professional
            PMD620. The advantage of these is that they can record in uncompressed
            formats.

            I wondered whether you had thought of recording directly to a laptop.
            You only then need a good digital microphone and Audacity or similar.

            Cheers
            Gary