Re: [LearningTechnologiesSIG] Video and text

  • Nik Peachey
    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 20, 2008
      Hi James

      If you want something free and easy to use you could try Video spin
      http://videospin.com/
      It is also integrated with various free video sharing sites too so you can quickly upload to your site of choice when you are finished. I prefer it to the built in windows movie maker.
      If you want an online alternative you could try dotsub. http://www.dotsub.com/
      There's a review of it on my blog here:
      http://nikpeachey.blogspot.com/2007/09/subtitling-your-video-clips.html

      If you are trying to create clips from commercially produced DVD then you could use Handbrake
      http://handbrake.fr

      Which is free software for windows and Mac and allows you to rip sections of DVD along with the subtitles and save them to various formats including those suitable for portable devices such as i-pod, phone, PSP etc. Legal restrictions apply though of course.

      best

      Nik Peachey | Learning Technology Consultant, Writer, Trainer

      http://nikpeachey.blogspot.com/

      Visit my office in Second Life at: http://tinyurl.com/ytz5go

      Email: nikpeachey@...
    • Gavin Dudeney
      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 26, 2008
        Folks,

        [ apologies for cross-posting ]

        Call for Papers - SLanguages 2008

        Following on from last year's inaugural SLanguages conference, we are
        pleased to announce a call for papers for this year's bigger and better
        event, to be held 23rd May 10:00 PST to 24th May 10:00 PST on EduNation II
        and III.

        The conference aims to bring together practitioners and researchers in the
        field of language education in Second Life for a 24-hour festival
        celebrating languages and cultures in Second Life, and will include a
        variety of social events as well as an exciting mix of plenary and
        simultaneous sessions throughout.

        We would like to invite speakers to submit proposals for seminars,
        workshops, discussions, demonstrations and poster displays on all aspects of
        language learning and teaching in Second Life. Sessions should be a maximum
        of one hour, and you should be prepared to do your session twice over the
        24-hour period in order to maximise audience participation globally.

        Presentations (in any language) should be voice and text (ask us for tools
        to facilitate this) and, where possible, include handouts and summaries for
        the seminar archive, which will be made available shortly after the live
        event itself.

        Space will also be made available for exhibitions, poster displays and
        demonstrations of teaching tools, gadgets and games.

        If you would like to participate, please contact Dudeney Ge in world (please
        use a notecard as IMs are often capped), or write to me off list at
        gavin.dudeney@....

        Gavin

        c/ Ceramica 54, 08035 Barcelona, Spain

        Tel: +34 93 427 4240 | +44 20 7193 0770

        <http://www.theconsultants-e.com/> http://www.theconsultants-e.com

        Winners of a 2007 British Council ELTON award - <http://tinyurl.com/3e2c54>
        http://tinyurl.com/3e2c54

        Owners of the Second Life EduNation sims - <http://tinyurl.com/34l8mw>
        http://tinyurl.com/34l8mw

        Sponsors of the UK Moodle Conference - <http://www.moodlemoot.org/>
        http://www.moodlemoot.org

        CONFIDENTIALITY AND DISCLAIMER NOTICE

      • james wilson
        Message 3 of 16 , Mar 2, 2008
          Hi All,
          I was wondering if anyone knows of good hardware and software for recording class room events and one to ones and setting up a nice portfolio online that includes narrative comments edting etc.

          I am considering a bid for some funding to develop this project and would like to have an idea of the costs involved.

          Thanks in advance
          James

          James M.Wilson
          e-Learning Developer

          Writtle College,
          Chelmsford, Essex,
          England. CM1 3RR
          T: (0044) (0) 1245 424200
          F: (0044) (0) 1245 420456

        • Ruth Vilmi
          Message 4 of 16 , Mar 7, 2008
            Hi James,

            Olympus has a little Digital Voice Recorder (VN-1000PC), USB2.0, with
            over 17 hours of recording. My friend recorded some voices at my last
            art exhibition (unknown to me at the time). The voices in the audience
            were quite clear though she was not close to them at all. No-one was
            aware of what she was doing. You can listen to the results in my blog at
            http://www.writeit.fi/ruth/2008/03/02/ruth-vilmis-merrymaking-in-leap-year-2008-exhibition/

            I have since bought one for 50 EUR.

            Hope this helps:-)
            Ruth Vilmi

            james wilson wrote:
            > Hi All,
            > I was wondering if anyone knows of good hardware and software for recording class room events and one to ones and setting up a nice portfolio online that includes narrative comments edting etc.
            >
            > I am considering a bid for some funding to develop this project and would like to have an idea of the costs involved.
            >
            > Thanks in advance
            > James
            >

            > James M.Wilson
            > e-Learning Developer
            >
            > Writtle College,
            > Chelmsford, Essex,
            > England. CM1 3RR
            > T: (0044) (0) 1245 424200
            > F: (0044) (0) 1245 420456

          • Gary Motteram
            Message 5 of 16 , Mar 7, 2008
              Hi James

              I agree with Ruth about the Olympus recorders, these are very good and
              highly portable. A higher quality option is the Marantz Professional
              PMD620. The advantage of these is that they can record in uncompressed
              formats.

              I wondered whether you had thought of recording directly to a laptop.
              You only then need a good digital microphone and Audacity or similar.

              Cheers
              Gary