Re: Authoring tool

  • Graham Davies
    Message 1 of 33 , Dec 9, 2007
      Dear Colleagues

      People rarely read the terms posted at websites. The HotPot terms are
      quite clearly stated here:
      http://www.halfbakedsoftware.com/hot_pot_licence.php

      "Do I Need a Licence?
      Hot Potatoes is free for use by individuals working for state-funded
      educational institutions which are non-profit making, on the
      condition that the material you produce using the program is freely
      available to anyone via the WWW. However, you need to purchase a
      licence under any of the following conditions:

      - You are working for a company or corporation, or an educational
      institution which is not state-funded.
      - You are in business for yourself.
      - You charge money for access to the material you make with Hot
      Potatoes.
      - You do not make the material freely available through the WWW."

      I know the authors personally and have visited their university
      several times. They are very generous and hard-working, and IMHO the
      above terms are very reasonable.

      Graham Davies
      Emeritus Professor of CALL
    • Graham Davies
      Message 33 of 33 , Dec 17, 2007
        You're right, Eric! I am (or rather was) guilty of
        overusing "obvious" and "obviously". I wrote an 80-page booklet on
        CALL back in 1982 - my first major published work. It was reviewed
        very positively, apart from one reviewer's comment on my overuse
        of "obvious" and "obviously". Around that time the first
        concordancers and word-frequency counters for microcomputers were
        appearing, so I began to use them to analyse my writings - and I
        still do. Yes, the reviewer was right. I am now a reformed character!

        Regards
        Graham Davies

        --- In LearningTechnologiesSIG@yahoogroups.com, "Eric Baber"