text reconstruction software

  • Steve Chadwick
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 2, 2007
      Dear colleagues,

      I have produced a prototype of a simple text reconstruction program for which I would be grateful for some feedback.

      The features are:
      See/hide all text
      Type word to guess if it is in the text
      Click on any word to reveal it.
      Any length of text is acceptable.

      This is a flash template which imports the text from an external file, hence easy to author.

      I am particularily seeking your opinion on the following points:
      In order to achieve the 'click on word' functionality I have had to create each word as a separate object. This has affected the spacing of the words and punctuation. Do you think this is acceptable?

      What other features should be included?

      If you are interested the template is here:
      http://www.examenglish.com/IELTS/IELTS_writing.htm

      With best wishes

      Steve Chadwick

    • Dennis Newson
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 5, 2007
        Steve,

        I've used this exercise in the past sticking each word on a board with
        blu-tack!

        I don't find the format disturbing.

        Offhand, I can't think of any other features.

        Thanks very much for showing this to us.

        Dennis

      • Michael Vallance
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 5, 2007
          An alternative is Web Rhubarb at

          http://www.cict.co.uk/software/textoys/index.htm

          with an example at
          http://www.cict.co.uk/software/textoys/examples/example2.htm

          There are references to STORYBOARD (John Higgins) and text reconstruction
          (Hubbard, Philip. 1990. Exploring text reconstruction activities on computers. CAELL
          Journal 1, 2: 2-4.) at Vance Steven's 1996 workshop at
          http://oregonstate.edu/Dept/eli/vstevens/main.htm

          Also, Hot Potatoes is useful for creating text reconstruction activities viewed online (and
          can be imported to Moodle LMS to track scores and attempts, if desired - very useful).

          Michael
        • Nik Peachey
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 6, 2007
            Hi Steve,

            Interesting stuff you're up to.

            Quick feedback: You asked about the spacing, and personally I thought it helped. The punctuation was easier to see and so helped with the task,as did the spacing of words.

            What I did find though was that I really struggled to do the text! (I am a bit thick though)

            I would recommend that the text be a summary of an audio lecture (not straight dictation) .

            I think that would really help the listener to develop some key listening skills for lectures and would help them complete the text by picking up on key words and facts from the lecture. For me the graphs alone didn't offer enough information for me to reconstruct the text in a reasonable time (though as I said before I'm not that bright!)

            Otherwise some really good work there.

            Best

            Nik

            Nik Peachey | Learning Technology Consultant, Trainer, Content Designer

            http://nikpeachey.blogspot.com/

            Email: nik.peachey@...
          • Graham Davies
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 6, 2007
              Hello Steve!

              Nice to hear from you again after all these years!

              Not wishing to be rude, isn't this a reinvention of the wheel?

              There are many text reconstruction (aka text manipulation) programs
              around – and at least two of them have been around for more than 20
              years, namely Wida Software's Storyboard (part of The Authoring
              Suite) and Camsoft's CopyWrite program (part of the Fun with Texts
              suite).

              The Hot Potatoes boys have produced a text reconstruction facility,
              and there are also John Higgins's programs that have been produced in
              different versions under different names, e.g. the first editions of
              Storyboard and CopyWrite that were written in collaboration with
              Chris Jones and myself, as well as his later Eclipse and Rhubarb
              programs. Most of these programs work in a similar way to the program
              that Steve describes, i.e. paste in a text of any length from any
              source and let the computer reduce it to sets of blanks, gapped
              exercises, etc that have to be reconstructed by the language learner.
              See the following websites

              The Authoring Suite
              http://www.wida.co.uk/noframes/auth.htm

              Fun with Texts
              http://www.camsoftpartners.co.uk/fwt.htm
              (which shows screenshots and from which you can download a demo)

              There is a whole section entitled "Text manipulation" in Module 1.4
              of the ICT4LT website, that deals with this topic in detail, focusing
              both on the mechanics of such programs and the underlying pedagogy:
              http://www.ict4lt.org/en/en_mod1-4.htm#anchor65132

              The most recent versions of The Authoring Suite and Fun with Texts
              enable the teacher to set up either a set of text-only reconstruction
              exercises or reconstruction exercises linked with still images, audio
              files and video files.

              Regards
              Graham Davies
              Emeritus Professor of CALL
              http://www.camsoftpartners.co.uk/cvgd.htm
            • Steve Chadwick
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 27, 2007
                Dear Graham,
                Thanks for the useful URLs.
                Yes, I did know that you at Camsoft, as well as Chris Jones/Wida software had produced similar software, and indeed have used them with pleasure in the past but I wasn't sure how well these worked on the web. I was keen to produce a utility that worked on the web, using a flash template and xml content files. I purposely did not refresh my memory of these programs while producing this sample:
                http://www.examenglish.com/FCE/FCE_writing.htm

                With warm regards

                Steve Chadwick
              • Shams Bhatti

                  Message 8 of 8 , Dec 19, 2007
                    ALT-C 2008: Rethinking the digital divide
                    9-11 September 2008, Leeds, UK

                    * NOW OPEN FOR SUBMISSIONS *

                    Submission guidelines and conference themes/dimensions:
                    http://www.alt.ac.uk/altc2008/papers.html
                    Submit your proposal on the new submission system at
                    https://alt.conference-services.net/

                    Key dates
                    Submissions open 14 December 2007
                    Submissions close 28 February 2008
                    Presenters’ registration deadline: 6 June 2008
                    Early bird registration deadline: 30 June 2008
                    Registrations close: 15 August 2008

                    Keynote speakers
                    David Cavallo, Chief Learning Architect for One Laptop per Child, and
                    Head of the Future of Learning Research Group at MIT Media Lab;
                    Dr Itiel Dror, Senior Lecturer in Cognitive Neuroscience at the
                    University of Southampton;
                    Hans Rosling, Professor of International Health, Karolinska
                    Institute, Sweden, and Director of the Gapminder Foundation.

                    To sponsor ALT-C 2008 contact Seb Schmoller, Chief Executive of ALT,
                    seb.schmoller@...
                    To exhibit at ALT-C 2008 contact Hayley Willis, Events Administrator,
                    hayley.willis@...
                    http://www.alt.ac.uk/altc2008/