AW: [LearningTechnologiesSIG] Re: Aurthorware or alternative

  • Kurt Kohn
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 12, 2007
      Dear Lucy,

      You may also want to look at Telos Language Partner, a template-based
      authoring tool for both offline and online learning and testing packages. It
      is free for non-commercial and educational use, and can be downloaded at
      www.sprachlernmedien.de <http://www.sprachlernmedien.de/> . Go to the
      English view. Under Authoring Support you find more information about TLP
      including an exercise typology. Download TLP Pro and the TLP WebConverter.
      When you run TLP Pro the first time you need a registration number. This is
      the one for non-commercial use: 129922-42803611-s

      Under Open Learning Space, the site offers a number of “free content”
      learning packages we have created with TLP over the years.

      Also see my article “Telos Language Partner: ‚Do It Yourself’ Authoring for
      Content-Based Language Learning” in: Gimeno, A. (ed.) (2007). Proceedings of
      the First Valencian Workshop on Computer Assisted Language Learning:
      “Authoring Tools for Web-Based CALL”. Valencia: Universidad Politécnica de
      Valencia. This volume also includes an article on MALTED, InGenio, Hot
      Potatoes and other authoring tools.

      Best regards,

      Kurt

      Kurt Kohn

      University of Tübingen
      Applied English Linguistics
      kurt.kohn@...
      www.uni-tuebingen.de/ael
    • martin barge
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 25, 2007
        Hello Clive and Friends,

        Just thought I'd contribute my experiences with some
        authoring packages: ToolBook, Runtime Revolution,
        Clarity Author Plus, Tanida Quiz Builder.

        i) ToolBook: this is a fully-fledged multimedia
        authoring package for very flexible, but is built only
        for Windows. It enables you to build CD_ROM based
        materials and .exe files, has a Web plug-in (Neuron)
        to run on browsers, and can export to DHTML. Although
        you can create exercises quite easily using ToolBook's
        built-in widgets, to fully exploit its functionality
        you need to learn its in-built scripting language
        (called OpenScript). It's also pretty expensive for a
        single user licence, but they do reasonable student
        licences. You can download a free 30-day trial.
        http://www.toolbook.com/

        ii) Runtime Revolution: this is also a great
        authoring program, and in many ways similar to
        ToolBook. It's built on the old HyperCard engine, but
        has been extensively developed in recent years. Like
        ToolBook, to use RunRev you have to learn its in-built
        scripting language (called Transcript). You can
        download versions for Windows, Mac or Linux. When
        you've created a program, RunRev then builds an .exe
        file (or binary for Linux) for the user to run -
        there's no installer, no plugin, just a ready-made
        standalone application. RunRev can create applications
        for Windows, Mac and Linux, no matter which platform
        you build it on. Its much cheaper than ToolBook, and
        you can download a free trial. http://www.runrev.com/

        iii) Clarity: Clarity have also produced a program
        called AuthorPlus, which allows you to create a range
        of exercise types in Flash format, but is template
        based. This doesn't give the author as much control
        over the layout and functionality of the program, but
        on the other hand doesn't require any scripting
        knowledge either.
        http://www.clarity.com.hk/program/authorplus.htm

        iv) Tanida Quiz Builder: this is a bit like Hot
        Potatoes, but generates Flash applets rather than
        JavaScripts. It's a template-based program that
        enables you to create a range of question types. It
        isn't cheap but you can download a free trial.
        http://www.quiz-builder.com/buy.html