Re: podcasting

  • mvallance
    Message 1 of 4 , May 22, 2007
      --- In LearningTechnologiesSIG@yahoogroups.com, "vprof99"
      <vprof99@...> wrote:

      > Is anyone working with video podcasting on a regular basis?

      re. Podcasting.

      I use Podcasting with my regular classes and also my graduate
      students. Of course I recommend some Podcasts relevant to their study
      (science related, design, English) on iTunes and prepare some general
      questions to support their listening. However, I firmly believe in
      students creating Podcasts. For the regular classes, in the first
      semester of Year 2 about 40 students work in teams of 4 on a project
      related to their science studies. They study technical writing and
      presentation skills. In the second semester the same groups then
      develop a Podcast discussing their topic. They need to do some more
      background research, write the questions, interview an `expert' as
      well as have an `informal discussion' (though rehearsed). Their peers
      are then asked to evaluate.

      Enhanced Podcasts are developed by my Graduate students. Enhanced
      Podcasts link images and text to the audio. We use iWriter software
      for the text and we also create MCQs as quizzes which can be viewed on
      iPods while linking to the audio. The Graduate student in 2006/7
      interviewed university staff about their subjects or research. These
      can be downloaded form the iTunes Store (JPN) by searching for
      Masahiro Matsui FUN Podcasts. The quizzes are not included though. We
      ended the last project using Mogopop (www.mogopop.com) which allows
      you to link to video also (if you have a video iPod) by uploading
      content to Mogopop and then accessing using Mogopop manager. The FUN
      Podcast trial is at Mogopop's Website. FUN = FUture University –
      Hakodate, by the way.

      The quality of the Podcasts in terms of content and delivery can be
      improved but student ownership of learning and outcome proved
      motivating and also relevant as they linked their core subjects
      (science, etc.) to communication skills. This year I have linked up
      with a colleague to develop Podcasts (by my students) that will
      support Maths and SPI (this is for job applications in JPN, I
      believe). I will learn a lot too for sure!

      To view more professionally developed Podcasts why not search Apple's
      education website – try Apple USA, UK and Australia in particular.
      Some projects are linked to local and/or national education standards.

      Finally, I presented some action research using iWriter for the
      Nagoya conference. Please visit the Website for the presentation and a
      paper, if you wish.

      Michael Vallance
    • Michael Vallance
      Message 2 of 4 , May 22, 2007
        <vprof99@...> wrote:

        > Is anyone working with video podcasting on a regular basis?

        Couldn't resist this link. Home Office UK get video iPods.

        http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/politics/6679429.stm

        - maybe some school 'leaders' could do with one of these ;-)

        - content developed by young pupils of course.

        Michael