Re: [LearningTechnologiesSIG] Setting up customised Wikis

  • Eric Baber
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 30 12:21 PM
      Hi Martin,

      > I'm looking at some software called 'MediaWiki' (see
      > http://www.mediawiki.org/) - anyone used it? Will it be challenging
      > to set up?

      Yes, no :-) As in yes I've used it, no it's not challenging to set up - it's
      fairly straightforward as long as you have the right environment.

      > And, should it make any difference that I am running this off an Intel
      > Mac?

      You mean your server is an Intel Mac? If so, no idea I'm afraid!

      Eric
    • Ruby Rennie
      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 30 1:41 PM
        Hi Martin
        I've used wikispaces and pbwiki (peanutbutter wiki) - both have levels
        where you can decide who has access to edit. One difference is that
        wikispaces has irritating ads that you can't get rid of unless you pay ...
        Both are very easy to use.
        Ruby

        Ruby Rennie
        Programme Director, MEd TESOL
        Charteris Land 5.5
        Holyrood Road
        Edinburgh EH8 8AQ

        ruby.rennie@...
        www.education.ed.ac.uk/crd/tesol
      • martin barge
        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 1, 2007
          Hi Martin,

          I've been experimenting with setting up my own wiki
          recently. I've put one on a free hosted website, using
          software called 'pmwiki', written in php and quite
          easy to use. You can see my efforts here:

          http://martinb.ifastnet.com/wiki/index.php

          I've also tried to set up a wiki using mediawiki, but
          found it much more difficult, and ran into problems
          with the PHP server settings, so gave up.

          I just thought I'd share my experience with you.

          Hope it helps,

          Martin.

          Inbox full of unwanted email? Get leading protection and 1GB storage with All New Yahoo! Mail. http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/nowyoucan.html
        • Peter Ruwoldt
          Message 4 of 15 , Apr 3, 2007
            Mediawiki is very customisable. I have set up a collaborative
            environment for IT teachers in my state to work together on the
            development of learning materials. (www.cegsa.org) Some grump a bit
            because the editing interface is not pretty and so some find it a bit
            hard to use. They don't like the idea of having to use wiki code to do
            some of the editing. To see what I mead go to wikipedia and hit the
            edit button on one of their articles.
            Peter

            Peter Ruwoldt
            Grant High School
            Hosking Avenue
            MOUNT GAMBIER SA 5290

            P. 08 87263107 (Do not leave voice mail)
            F. 08 87250173

            ruwoldtp@...
            http://www.watiwara.com/
          • Vicky Saumell
            Message 5 of 15 , Apr 3, 2007
              Dear Rubi and Martin,

              I have also worked with Wikispaces and they provide ads free wikis for
              teachers setting up educational wikis.

              Hope it helps.

              Vicky Saumell

            • Ruth Vilmi
              Message 6 of 15 , Apr 3, 2007
                I too use Mediawiki and have customised the interface at
                http://international-writing-exchange.wikispaces.com/
                You CAN make it pretty or business-like or whatever.

                Ruth

                --

                Ruth Vilmi
                Ruth Vilmi Online Education Ltd
                Message 7 of 15 , Apr 3, 2007
                  Dear List Members,

                  Apologies for cross posting, but I am hoping someone can point me in the
                  right direction.

                  I am looking for websites where my students can listen to American dialects and I can print out a transcript of what is being spoken. I wish to use the transcripts to develop some listening activities.

                  Would appreciate any help.

                  Best Regards,

                  Russ Kent

                • attilio galimberti
                  Message 8 of 15 , Apr 4, 2007
                    Dear All,

                    I'm new in this wonderful group and I'm really glad
                    there so many teachers and experts sharing CALL ideas
                    and projects in ELS or EFL.

                    I have been using a free Wikispace for some months. My
                    high school EFL students use it to improve their
                    language skills and to take part in collaborative
                    projects with other schools: up to now I have set up a
                    tandem project (English-Italian) with the Oregon
                    University and an email exchange with a high school in
                    San Diego.

                    You can have a look at our wikispace:
                    http://amaldi-english-corner.wikispaces.com

                    It would be great if I could find some British schools
                    interested in this kind of projects!!

                    Many greetings from Italy and Happy Easter to
                    everybody!

                    ATTILIO GALIMBERTI
                    EFL High School Teacher
                    BERGAMO (Italy)
                    galimber@...

                    ___________________________________
                    L'email della prossima generazione? Puoi averla con la nuova Yahoo! Mail:
                    http://it.docs.yahoo.com/nowyoucan.html
                  • Peter Ruwoldt
                    Message 9 of 15 , Apr 4, 2007
                      Hi Ruth
                      MediaWiki is what is used by WikiPedia. You have used wikispaces.
                      These two things are different.
                      Peter

                      --
                      Free and Open education for all

                      Message 10 of 15 , Apr 4, 2007
                        Hi Peter,
                        You are right. Thank you for this correction.

                        Ruth

                        Peter Ruwoldt wrote:
                        > Hi Ruth
                        > MediaWiki is what is used by WikiPedia. You have used wikispaces.
                        > These two things are different.
                        > Peter

                      • Ruth Vilmi
                        Message 11 of 15 , Apr 7, 2007
                          Hi All,

                          For years I've been receiving tips for Word and Excel by email but now I
                          have noticed they have a searchable site, which is much more convenient.
                          I do hope that some of you find these sites useful:

                          http://wordtips.vitalnews.com/

                          http://exceltips.VitalNews.com/

                          Happy Holiday Fun!
                          Ruth

                          --

                          Ruth Vilmi
                          Ruth Vilmi Online Education Ltd
                          E-learning, language checking and translation services
                          Company Web page: www.writeit.to
                          Art gallery: www.writeit.to/ruth/gallery
                          Email: ruth.vilmi@...
                          Alternative email: ruth.vilmi@...
                          Mobile: +358 50 368 4696
                        • ict4lt
                          Message 12 of 15 , Apr 22, 2007
                            There were pre-conference workshops on setting up and using wikis and
                            blogs at last year's EUROCALL conference in Granada - partly in order
                            to familiarise participants with the concept of the Virtual Strand,
                            which enabled people who could not travel to Granada to participate
                            in the conference

                            Last year's EUROCALL wiki can be found at:
                            http://eurocall2006.wikispaces.com

                            Last year' EUROCALL blog can be found at:
                            http://eurocall2006blog.blogspot.com

                            My impression was that the blog was more useful and informative than
                            the wiki, which was under-used after the workshops had taken place. I
                            had a go at setting up my personal wiki for the conference - which
                            you can find under "Introductions" on the main EUROCALL wiki page
                            (above). I was a "virtual participant" in EUROCALL 2006 as illness
                            prevented me from travelling, so I was able to gain a good impression
                            of what worked and what didn't work. I found live text chat very
                            useful, i.e. being able to "talk" to people via their wireless-
                            enabled laptops as they listened to the various sessions. The
                            streamed videos of the keynotes - which are still accessible via the
                            blog (above) - were also very useful.

                            There will be further workshops at this year's conference, which will
                            have an enhanced Virtual Strand:
                            http://www.eurocall2007.com

                            Regards
                            Graham Davies
                            Emeritus Professor of Computer Assisted Language Learning
                            Member of the EUROCALL Executive Committee
                          • ict4lt
                            Message 13 of 15 , Apr 22, 2007
                              Russ Kent asked for information in this thread regarding websites where
                              his students can listen to American dialects. This site, the Speech
                              Accent Archive, may be a good starting point. It's compiled and
                              maintained by Steven Weinberger, George Mason University:
                              http://accent.gmu.edu

                              Samples of native English speakers reading the same text can be found
                              here:
                              http://accent.gmu.edu/browse_language.php?function=find&language=english

                              A large number of US regional accents are included, as well as British,
                              Australian, etc. You can listen to the texts being read and there are
                              phonetic transcriptions of each speaker's pronunciation.

                              Message 14 of 15 , Apr 23, 2007
                                Thank you for this information, I appreciate it.

                                Regards,

                                Russ Kent

                                _____

                                http://accent. <http://accent.gmu.edu> gmu.edu