Re: [LearningTechnologiesSIG] VLEs

  • cristina costa
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 28, 2007
      Dear James,

      I am acquainted with both Blackboard and Moodle.

      WebCt has been bought by Blackboard and that is why WebCT user have been replacing it with Bb. Find more information here: http://www.blackboard.com/webct

      Moodle is an opensource CMS and you will need have a greater technical support than BB requires, since you will be paying BB to provide you with some kind of tech assistance.
      I really like Moodle. I think it has a constructive approach and is quite userfriendly.
      BB is also quite nice, but quite expensive too.

      To choose the right VLE is a hard decision to meet. But remember, what matters is how you are going to engage the students/learners in there to construct knowledge. I think that with either one or the other it can be achieved, as long as you know how to e-moderate and guide learners in their learning process in a dynamic, interaction, communicative and active way..

      What you want to consider as a deciding factor is:
      what is more cost efficient? To pay BB to get the technical support (you will find that their technical support will not be enough) or have a team providing technical support to your online projects?

      I hope it helps.
      If you have more questions don't hesitate to contact me

      Kindly,

      Cris

    • Ruth Vilmi
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 28, 2007
        Definitely, James. Go for Moodle! It's free and well-documented. There
        are plenty of newsgroups, free courses on line (such as those the
        Webheads give) and people you can discuss problems with.

        I'm using it as www.writeit.to/sys, but there are hundreds of examples
        you could look at. I'm not terribly active these days and try to keep
        things cheap and simple.

        Ruth

        --

        Ruth Vilmi
        Ruth Vilmi Online Education Ltd
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 28, 2007
          James,

          I'd go for Moodle any time - as do over 60% of FE and HE places in the UK,
          and the Open University (who are also spending 5 million GBP on contributing
          to its developement...) Oh - it's free, too...

          Gavin

          c/ Ceramica 54, 08035 Barcelona, Spain
          Tel: +34 93 427 4240 | +44 20 7193 0770
        • Eric Baber
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 28, 2007
            Hi James,

            One thing to be aware of is that Blackboard bought WebCT a couple of years
            ago so the two products are merging. I'm not 100% up on developments but
            last I heard development of WebCT was winding down with view to ultimately
            only having one product, called Blackboard. As I say it's worth checking up
            on that but if that is indeed the case it's probably best to avoid WebCT (if
            it's even still being sold which, by the looks of the website, isn't the
            case, so this is a moot point).

            Depending on the size of your organisation your decision may be extremely
            easy. Blackboard is priced in such a way that it's not really affordable for
            smallish institutions - it aims for the university/corporate market, i.e.
            thousands of users, so if you've only got tens or even hundreds of users it
            may be a non-option. Moodle on the other hand is free, though you will incur
            hosting costs etc and it doesn't come with any guaranteed support, though
            the peer-support tends to be excellent. There are also private companies
            that offer Moodle support for a fee either on a retainer basis or on a
            case-by-case basis, so this may be an option.

            Personally I like Moodle's interface and useability - definitely much more
            than Blackboard's, though that may be a matter of personal preference.

            Hope that helps, though your question is a biggie! :-) What you'll really
            need to do is sit down and make a list of what you want a VLE to do for you
            and what your budget is, then compare what's on the market, perhaps inviting
            in people from different VLE providers to give you some demos and
            information.

            Eric
          • Tom Walton
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 29, 2007
              Hi everyone:

              I quite like Moodle too, and agree entirely with Chris "what matters is how you are going to engage the students/learners in there to construct knowledge".

              A point to note is not to be conned into thinking "anyone" can "do" Moodle. At some point you are going to need expert help (instalation, personalising the "look" of the course, backing up, updating to new versions, general troubleshooting, etc).

              There's a huge amount of stuff on the Moodle forums, and lots of readily available volunteer help, but often that isn't enough if you haven't got the expert knowledge yourself.

              Tom
            • Vance Stevens
              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 29, 2007
                If I may interject here, I'm a big fan of Moodle too. IMHO I don't think
                that spending money on BB is justified.

                However, I might suggest also that you have a look at Drupal. It's also free
                and open source. It seems more complicated than Moodle, but has a nice
                interface and more options for fine tuning.

                One thing that others have yet to mention that you might consider, and that
                is the recent suit of BB of Desire to Learn. BB took out a patent on
                certain aspects of its product that many deem common to all LMS's and on the
                day the patent was granted sued one rival company for infringement, in a
                move analogous to Ford taking out a patent on the steering wheel and then
                suing Chevy for its incorporation in its products over the years. Since
                then many have rallied to produce prior art that would serve to undermine
                BB's patents case, and the patents (44 of them, http://noedupatents.org) are
                indeed now under review. You can Google the saga under terms such as
                'blackboard patent'. The search currently turns up Stephen Downes, first
                up, and then some pages from the BB website, so you can see sides to the
                argument, plus a BBC article near the top of the list that attempts a fair
                report on the issue.

                I think that if you're 'green' on open source and academia and suspicious of
                hegemonistic tactics of big business then BB's behaviour in this instance
                would corroborate your thinking in that vein and would serve as one more
                reason to consider a freely shared and competently crafted open source
                product over a closed, expensive, big enterprise one.

                Look into it,

                Vance
              • jamescff
                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 2, 2007
                  Hi everyone

                  Thank you very much to everyone who got back so quickly and provided
                  such helpful information.

                  Given our situation (we are fortunate enough to have an IT team!), it
                  all seemed unanimously in favour of Moodle (although it doesn't seem
                  to have the content management facilities that Bb does?), until Vance
                  wrote...

                  This is very interesting, Vance as I've never even heard of Drupal. I
                  will investigate.

                  Best wishes

                  James
                • izsirsu
                  Message 8 of 10 , Apr 4, 2007
                    Hi all,

                    Anyone with ideas for integrating VLE into drama for children?

                    Regards,Su