RE: [LearningTechnologiesSIG] Phonetic font

  • Valerie Bevan
    Message 1 of 19 , Feb 28, 2007
      Very many thanks to those who replied to my "phonetic font" query.

      Acting on Ruby Rennie's tip, I was eventually directed to www.phon.ucl.ac.uk/resource/phonetics/,
      where I found exactly what I had previously been looking for without success.

      I also followed up "phonmap", which is indeed inexpensive and is worth knowing about for recommendation to colleagues who don't care to get to know the phonetic keyboard.

      Great job! What would I do without the LTSIG?

      Valerie Bevan

      I can highly recommend http://phonmap.com/ - it is no longer free - but cheap and very good value. (duncan.baker@...)

      I have used the SIL fonts in the past: http://www.sil.org/linguistics/ (Ruby Rennie)
    • Ruby Rennie
      Message 2 of 19 , Mar 1, 2007
        I have to admit that I am a regular "lurker" on this SIG - I look at the
        subject line of messages that come through, and if I open the message I
        quickly browse and then get back to what I was doing before. However, I
        thought I'd share my recent use of a blog to tidy up my thinking processes
        a bit!
        I started writing a blog more than a year ago, but it was very sporadic
        until recently. I hadn't really thought about what it would be useful for.
        Making contact with people who are more "in the know" spurred me into
        browsing other people's blogs and experimenting a bit, and I have found
        that my own blog has developed its own kind of life. I use it more as a
        notebook and a source for my interests and ideas. It is very easy to add
        links, and once there I see them on the list and remember to have a quick
        look every few days. I've also realised that the links and blogs I go to
        have to be "sticky" - I need to know that something interesting is
        happening, otherwise I get bored because it is just the same every time I
        look.
        The communication about the phonetic fonts was something that interested
        me, and it was good to know the results of that mail. The chances are,
        though, that I will lose that email, or forget where on my computer I
        saved it. For that reason, I have written a blog post - as a kind of note
        to myself. It is tagged, so I can find all the posts I've written about
        "language" easily. I have also added it to my delicious links, which again
        I can tag, and I can find these on any computer I go to (not just the
        bookmarks on my own computer).

        http://rubyrennie.edublogs.org/
        http://del.icio.us/rubyr

        Does anyone else have a blog that I might be interested in?????
        Do you find that your way of working has changed like this too?

        I'd be interested in any ideas (and to make it easier for me, being memory
        challenged, it would be excellent if you added a comment to my blog post
        ...)

        Cheers
        Ruby
      • Brendan Wightman
        Message 3 of 19 , Mar 2, 2007
          Special congratulations to Gavin Dudeney and Nicky Hockley for winning an
          ETON for their "ICT in the Classroom" online training course!

          http://www.britishcouncil.org/learning-innovation-awards-2007-winners.htm

          It's good to see the BC recognising and rewarding online teacher training.

          Have a beer on me, Gavin!!

          Brendan Wightman
          E-Learning Content Manager
          Cambridge ELT
          Direct line: 01223 326470

        • Wellington
          Message 4 of 19 , Mar 5, 2007
            And a glass of red wine on me :-)

            Warm regards

            Grazyna Studzinska-Cavour
            Freelance Teacher Trainer, EuroCALL NatRep for Poland
            <mailto:wellington@...> wellington@...
            <http://www.linkedin.com/in/studzinska>
            http://www.linkedin.com/in/studzinska
          • Ruth Vilmi
            Message 5 of 19 , Mar 5, 2007
              My hearty congratulations to Gavin and Nicky! Could you please explain
              to us ignorant folk what an ETON is please? I only know this
              abbreviation as the name of a public school!

              Ruth

              Ruth Vilmi
              Ruth Vilmi Online Education Ltd
              E-learning, language checking and translation services
              Company Web page: www.writeit.to
              Art gallery: www.writeit.to/ruth/gallery
              Email: ruth.vilmi@...
              Alternative email: ruth.vilmi@...
              Mobile: +358 50 368 4696
            • Gavin Dudeney
              Message 6 of 19 , Mar 5, 2007
                Brendan,

                Thanks a lot for that - it was great to win the award, and a grand night
                out. Nice to see technology on the agenda.

                Gavin

                c/ Ceramica 54, 08035 Barcelona, Spain
                Tel: +34 93 427 4240 | +44 20 7193 0770
                HYPERLINK "http://www.theconsultants-e.com/"http://www.theconsultants-e.com

                Winners, 2007 British Council ELTON awards - HYPERLINK
                "http://tinyurl.com/3e2c54"http://tinyurl.com/3e2c54
                Owners of the Second Life sim EduNation - HYPERLINK
                "http://tinyurl.com/yehbto"http://tinyurl.com/yehbto
                Sponsors of the 2006 UK Moodle Conference - HYPERLINK
                "http://www.moodlemoot.org/"http://www.moodlemoot.org
              • Gavin Dudeney
                Message 7 of 19 , Mar 5, 2007
                  Ruth,

                  It's actually an ELTON (English Language Teaching innovatiON award) from the
                  British Council. More info here:

                  HYPERLINK
                  "http://www.britishcouncil.org/learning-innovation-awards"http://www.british

                  Message 8 of 19 , Mar 5, 2007
                    Grazyna,

                    Thanks - we did have one or two on Thursday ;-)

                    Gavin
                  • NORMA BREWER
                    Message 9 of 19 , Mar 5, 2007
                      It's an ELTON
                      not an ETON!

                      Norma Brewer

                      Norma Brewer
                      nlbrewer@...

                    • Ruth Vilmi
                      Message 10 of 19 , Mar 5, 2007
                        Thanks, Gavin. It was interesting to follow the link;-) Lots of
                        interesting work there:-)

                        Ruth

                        --

                        Ruth Vilmi
                        Ruth Vilmi Online Education Ltd
                        E-learning, language checking and translation services
                        Company Web page: www.writeit.to
                        Art gallery: www.writeit.to/ruth/gallery
                        Email: ruth.vilmi@...
                        Alternative email: ruth.vilmi@...
                        Mobile: +358 50 368 4696
                      • Paul KNIGHT
                        Message 11 of 19 , Mar 6, 2007
                          I'd like to add my voice to the chorus of congratulations - well done
                          you folks!

                          Paul

                          Paul Knight

                          Director of Year 1 Programme

                          CELE Team Leader

                          University of Nottingham, Ningbo, China

                          199 Taikang East Road

                          Ningbo 315100

                          Zhejiang

                          China

                          Tel: +86 (0) 574 88180072

                          Fax: +86 (0) 574 88180329

                          .

                          <http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=97359714/grpId=512122/grpspId=1705137079/ms
                          gId=1836/stime=1173201207/nc1=4438958/nc2=3848515/nc3=3848567>

                        • GEOFFREY TAYLOR
                          Message 12 of 19 , Mar 9, 2007
                            Hi

                            I'd like to wish a belated congratulations to Gavin
                            and Nicky for their award!

                            Geoff Taylor

                            Geoff Taylor
                            CALL Co-ordinator, St Clare's, Oxford