Re: [LearningTechnologiesSIG] Phonetic font

  • Dennis Newson
    Message 1 of 19 , Feb 28 8:21 AM
      Lenka,

      The URL worked for me.

      Dennis

    • Valerie Bevan
      Message 2 of 19 , Feb 28 1:39 PM
        Very many thanks to those who replied to my "phonetic font" query.

        Acting on Ruby Rennie's tip, I was eventually directed to www.phon.ucl.ac.uk/resource/phonetics/,
        where I found exactly what I had previously been looking for without success.

        I also followed up "phonmap", which is indeed inexpensive and is worth knowing about for recommendation to colleagues who don't care to get to know the phonetic keyboard.

        Great job! What would I do without the LTSIG?

        Valerie Bevan

        I can highly recommend http://phonmap.com/ - it is no longer free - but cheap and very good value. (duncan.baker@...)

        I have used the SIL fonts in the past: http://www.sil.org/linguistics/ (Ruby Rennie)
      • Ruby Rennie
        Message 3 of 19 , Mar 1, 2007
          I have to admit that I am a regular "lurker" on this SIG - I look at the
          subject line of messages that come through, and if I open the message I
          quickly browse and then get back to what I was doing before. However, I
          thought I'd share my recent use of a blog to tidy up my thinking processes
          a bit!
          I started writing a blog more than a year ago, but it was very sporadic
          until recently. I hadn't really thought about what it would be useful for.
          Making contact with people who are more "in the know" spurred me into
          browsing other people's blogs and experimenting a bit, and I have found
          that my own blog has developed its own kind of life. I use it more as a
          notebook and a source for my interests and ideas. It is very easy to add
          links, and once there I see them on the list and remember to have a quick
          look every few days. I've also realised that the links and blogs I go to
          have to be "sticky" - I need to know that something interesting is
          happening, otherwise I get bored because it is just the same every time I
          look.
          The communication about the phonetic fonts was something that interested
          me, and it was good to know the results of that mail. The chances are,
          though, that I will lose that email, or forget where on my computer I
          saved it. For that reason, I have written a blog post - as a kind of note
          to myself. It is tagged, so I can find all the posts I've written about
          "language" easily. I have also added it to my delicious links, which again
          I can tag, and I can find these on any computer I go to (not just the
          bookmarks on my own computer).

          http://rubyrennie.edublogs.org/
          http://del.icio.us/rubyr

          Does anyone else have a blog that I might be interested in?????
          Do you find that your way of working has changed like this too?

          I'd be interested in any ideas (and to make it easier for me, being memory
          challenged, it would be excellent if you added a comment to my blog post
          ...)

          Cheers
          Ruby
        • Brendan Wightman
          Message 4 of 19 , Mar 2, 2007
            Special congratulations to Gavin Dudeney and Nicky Hockley for winning an
            ETON for their "ICT in the Classroom" online training course!

            http://www.britishcouncil.org/learning-innovation-awards-2007-winners.htm

            It's good to see the BC recognising and rewarding online teacher training.

            Have a beer on me, Gavin!!

            Brendan Wightman
            E-Learning Content Manager
            Cambridge ELT
            Direct line: 01223 326470

          • Wellington
            Message 5 of 19 , Mar 5, 2007
              And a glass of red wine on me :-)

              Warm regards

              Grazyna Studzinska-Cavour
              Freelance Teacher Trainer, EuroCALL NatRep for Poland
              <mailto:wellington@...> wellington@...
              <http://www.linkedin.com/in/studzinska>
              http://www.linkedin.com/in/studzinska
            • Ruth Vilmi
              Message 6 of 19 , Mar 5, 2007
                My hearty congratulations to Gavin and Nicky! Could you please explain
                to us ignorant folk what an ETON is please? I only know this
                abbreviation as the name of a public school!

                Ruth

                Ruth Vilmi
                Ruth Vilmi Online Education Ltd
                E-learning, language checking and translation services
                Company Web page: www.writeit.to
                Art gallery: www.writeit.to/ruth/gallery
                Email: ruth.vilmi@...
                Alternative email: ruth.vilmi@...
                Mobile: +358 50 368 4696
              • Gavin Dudeney
                Message 7 of 19 , Mar 5, 2007
                  Brendan,

                  Thanks a lot for that - it was great to win the award, and a grand night
                  out. Nice to see technology on the agenda.

                  Gavin

                  c/ Ceramica 54, 08035 Barcelona, Spain
                  Tel: +34 93 427 4240 | +44 20 7193 0770
                  HYPERLINK "http://www.theconsultants-e.com/"http://www.theconsultants-e.com

                  Winners, 2007 British Council ELTON awards - HYPERLINK
                  "http://tinyurl.com/3e2c54"http://tinyurl.com/3e2c54
                  Owners of the Second Life sim EduNation - HYPERLINK
                  "http://tinyurl.com/yehbto"http://tinyurl.com/yehbto
                  Sponsors of the 2006 UK Moodle Conference - HYPERLINK
                  "http://www.moodlemoot.org/"http://www.moodlemoot.org
                • Gavin Dudeney
                  Message 8 of 19 , Mar 5, 2007
                    Ruth,

                    It's actually an ELTON (English Language Teaching innovatiON award) from the
                    British Council. More info here:

                    HYPERLINK
                    "http://www.britishcouncil.org/learning-innovation-awards"http://www.british

                    Message 9 of 19 , Mar 5, 2007
                      Grazyna,

                      Thanks - we did have one or two on Thursday ;-)

                      Gavin
                    • NORMA BREWER
                      Message 10 of 19 , Mar 5, 2007
                        It's an ELTON
                        not an ETON!

                        Norma Brewer

                        Norma Brewer
                        nlbrewer@...

                      • Ruth Vilmi
                        Message 11 of 19 , Mar 5, 2007
                          Thanks, Gavin. It was interesting to follow the link;-) Lots of
                          interesting work there:-)

                          Ruth

                          --

                          Ruth Vilmi
                          Ruth Vilmi Online Education Ltd
                          E-learning, language checking and translation services
                          Company Web page: www.writeit.to
                          Art gallery: www.writeit.to/ruth/gallery
                          Email: ruth.vilmi@...
                          Alternative email: ruth.vilmi@...
                          Mobile: +358 50 368 4696
                        • Paul KNIGHT
                          Message 12 of 19 , Mar 6, 2007
                            I'd like to add my voice to the chorus of congratulations - well done
                            you folks!

                            Paul

                            Paul Knight

                            Director of Year 1 Programme

                            CELE Team Leader

                            University of Nottingham, Ningbo, China

                            199 Taikang East Road

                            Ningbo 315100

                            Zhejiang

                            China

                            Tel: +86 (0) 574 88180072

                            Fax: +86 (0) 574 88180329

                            .

                            <http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=97359714/grpId=512122/grpspId=1705137079/ms
                            gId=1836/stime=1173201207/nc1=4438958/nc2=3848515/nc3=3848567>

                          • GEOFFREY TAYLOR
                            Message 13 of 19 , Mar 9, 2007
                              Hi

                              I'd like to wish a belated congratulations to Gavin
                              and Nicky for their award!

                              Geoff Taylor

                              Geoff Taylor
                              CALL Co-ordinator, St Clare's, Oxford