RE: [LearningTechnologiesSIG] Phonetic font

  • Lenka Bucherová
    Message 1 of 19 , Feb 28, 2007
      Dear prof. Sobkowiak,
      that URL doesn�t work.....Could you provide any other? Thank you very much,

      Lenka Bucherov�, ESP teacher

      _____

      Message 2 of 19 , Feb 28, 2007
        I recently discovered Jan Mulder's phonmap wasn't free and found Scriptwriter
        at
        http://www.e-lang.co.uk/mackichan/call/pron/type.html

        Phil
      • Dennis Newson
        Message 3 of 19 , Feb 28, 2007
          Lenka,

          The URL worked for me.

          Dennis

        • Valerie Bevan
          Message 4 of 19 , Feb 28, 2007
            Very many thanks to those who replied to my "phonetic font" query.

            Acting on Ruby Rennie's tip, I was eventually directed to www.phon.ucl.ac.uk/resource/phonetics/,
            where I found exactly what I had previously been looking for without success.

            I also followed up "phonmap", which is indeed inexpensive and is worth knowing about for recommendation to colleagues who don't care to get to know the phonetic keyboard.

            Great job! What would I do without the LTSIG?

            Valerie Bevan

            I can highly recommend http://phonmap.com/ - it is no longer free - but cheap and very good value. (duncan.baker@...)

            I have used the SIL fonts in the past: http://www.sil.org/linguistics/ (Ruby Rennie)
          • Ruby Rennie
            Message 5 of 19 , Mar 1, 2007
              I have to admit that I am a regular "lurker" on this SIG - I look at the
              subject line of messages that come through, and if I open the message I
              quickly browse and then get back to what I was doing before. However, I
              thought I'd share my recent use of a blog to tidy up my thinking processes
              a bit!
              I started writing a blog more than a year ago, but it was very sporadic
              until recently. I hadn't really thought about what it would be useful for.
              Making contact with people who are more "in the know" spurred me into
              browsing other people's blogs and experimenting a bit, and I have found
              that my own blog has developed its own kind of life. I use it more as a
              notebook and a source for my interests and ideas. It is very easy to add
              links, and once there I see them on the list and remember to have a quick
              look every few days. I've also realised that the links and blogs I go to
              have to be "sticky" - I need to know that something interesting is
              happening, otherwise I get bored because it is just the same every time I
              look.
              The communication about the phonetic fonts was something that interested
              me, and it was good to know the results of that mail. The chances are,
              though, that I will lose that email, or forget where on my computer I
              saved it. For that reason, I have written a blog post - as a kind of note
              to myself. It is tagged, so I can find all the posts I've written about
              "language" easily. I have also added it to my delicious links, which again
              I can tag, and I can find these on any computer I go to (not just the
              bookmarks on my own computer).

              http://rubyrennie.edublogs.org/
              http://del.icio.us/rubyr

              Does anyone else have a blog that I might be interested in?????
              Do you find that your way of working has changed like this too?

              I'd be interested in any ideas (and to make it easier for me, being memory
              challenged, it would be excellent if you added a comment to my blog post
              ...)

              Cheers
              Ruby
            • Brendan Wightman
              Message 6 of 19 , Mar 2, 2007
                Special congratulations to Gavin Dudeney and Nicky Hockley for winning an
                ETON for their "ICT in the Classroom" online training course!

                http://www.britishcouncil.org/learning-innovation-awards-2007-winners.htm

                It's good to see the BC recognising and rewarding online teacher training.

                Have a beer on me, Gavin!!

                Brendan Wightman
                E-Learning Content Manager
                Cambridge ELT
                Direct line: 01223 326470

              • Wellington
                Message 7 of 19 , Mar 5, 2007
                  And a glass of red wine on me :-)

                  Warm regards

                  Grazyna Studzinska-Cavour
                  Freelance Teacher Trainer, EuroCALL NatRep for Poland
                  <mailto:wellington@...> wellington@...
                  <http://www.linkedin.com/in/studzinska>
                  http://www.linkedin.com/in/studzinska
                • Ruth Vilmi
                  Message 8 of 19 , Mar 5, 2007
                    My hearty congratulations to Gavin and Nicky! Could you please explain
                    to us ignorant folk what an ETON is please? I only know this
                    abbreviation as the name of a public school!

                    Ruth

                    Ruth Vilmi
                    Ruth Vilmi Online Education Ltd
                    E-learning, language checking and translation services
                    Company Web page: www.writeit.to
                    Art gallery: www.writeit.to/ruth/gallery
                    Email: ruth.vilmi@...
                    Alternative email: ruth.vilmi@...
                    Mobile: +358 50 368 4696
                  • Gavin Dudeney
                    Message 9 of 19 , Mar 5, 2007
                      Brendan,

                      Thanks a lot for that - it was great to win the award, and a grand night
                      out. Nice to see technology on the agenda.

                      Gavin

                      c/ Ceramica 54, 08035 Barcelona, Spain
                      Tel: +34 93 427 4240 | +44 20 7193 0770
                      HYPERLINK "http://www.theconsultants-e.com/"http://www.theconsultants-e.com

                      Winners, 2007 British Council ELTON awards - HYPERLINK
                      "http://tinyurl.com/3e2c54"http://tinyurl.com/3e2c54
                      Owners of the Second Life sim EduNation - HYPERLINK
                      "http://tinyurl.com/yehbto"http://tinyurl.com/yehbto
                      Sponsors of the 2006 UK Moodle Conference - HYPERLINK
                      "http://www.moodlemoot.org/"http://www.moodlemoot.org
                    • Gavin Dudeney
                      Message 10 of 19 , Mar 5, 2007
                        Ruth,

                        It's actually an ELTON (English Language Teaching innovatiON award) from the
                        British Council. More info here:

                        HYPERLINK
                        "http://www.britishcouncil.org/learning-innovation-awards"http://www.british

                        Message 11 of 19 , Mar 5, 2007
                          Grazyna,

                          Thanks - we did have one or two on Thursday ;-)

                          Gavin
                        • NORMA BREWER
                          Message 12 of 19 , Mar 5, 2007
                            It's an ELTON
                            not an ETON!

                            Norma Brewer

                            Norma Brewer
                            nlbrewer@...

                          • Ruth Vilmi
                            Message 13 of 19 , Mar 5, 2007
                              Thanks, Gavin. It was interesting to follow the link;-) Lots of
                              interesting work there:-)

                              Ruth

                              --

                              Ruth Vilmi
                              Ruth Vilmi Online Education Ltd
                              E-learning, language checking and translation services
                              Company Web page: www.writeit.to
                              Art gallery: www.writeit.to/ruth/gallery
                              Email: ruth.vilmi@...
                              Alternative email: ruth.vilmi@...
                              Mobile: +358 50 368 4696
                            • Paul KNIGHT
                              Message 14 of 19 , Mar 6, 2007
                                I'd like to add my voice to the chorus of congratulations - well done
                                you folks!

                                Paul

                                Paul Knight

                                Director of Year 1 Programme

                                CELE Team Leader

                                University of Nottingham, Ningbo, China

                                199 Taikang East Road

                                Ningbo 315100

                                Zhejiang

                                China

                                Tel: +86 (0) 574 88180072

                                Fax: +86 (0) 574 88180329

                                .

                                <http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=97359714/grpId=512122/grpspId=1705137079/ms
                                gId=1836/stime=1173201207/nc1=4438958/nc2=3848515/nc3=3848567>

                              • GEOFFREY TAYLOR
                                Message 15 of 19 , Mar 9, 2007
                                  Hi

                                  I'd like to wish a belated congratulations to Gavin
                                  and Nicky for their award!

                                  Geoff Taylor

                                  Geoff Taylor
                                  CALL Co-ordinator, St Clare's, Oxford