Phonetic font

  • Valerie Bevan
    Message 1 of 19 , Feb 27, 2007
      Hi all!

      A very simple query... Some years back I downloaded a free phonetic font that was blissfully simple and intuitive to use (the capital "S" was /ʃ/ for instance). Now, with a new computer, I can't find one that doesn't require me to "Insert symbols" in Word. I would be very grateful to anyone who could direct me to the user-friendly font!

      Yours in hope,

      Valerie Bevan
      St Mary's School
      Cambridge UK
    • Ruby Rennie
      Message 2 of 19 , Feb 28, 2007
        I have used the SIL fonts in the past:

        http://www.sil.org/linguistics/

        LearningTechnologiesSIG@yahoogroups.com on 28 February 2007 at 00:13 +0000
        wrote:
        >Hi all!
        >
        >A very simple query... Some years back I downloaded a free phonetic font
        >that was blissfully simple and intuitive to use (the capital "S" was //
        >for instance). Now, with a new computer, I can't find one that doesn't
        >require me to "Insert symbols" in Word. I would be very grateful to
        >anyone who could direct me to the user-friendly font!
        >
        >Yours in hope,
        >
        >Valerie Bevan
        >St Mary's School
        >Cambridge UK

        Ruby Rennie
        Programme Director, MEd TESOL
        Charteris Land 5.5
        Holyrood Road
        Edinburgh EH8 8AQ

        ruby.rennie@...
        www.education.ed.ac.uk/crd/tesol

      • Duncan Baker
        Message 3 of 19 , Feb 28, 2007
          I can highly recommend http://phonmap.com/ - it is no longer free - but
          cheap and very good value.

          Duncan

          Ruby Rennie wrote:

          > I have used the SIL fonts in the past:
          >
          > http://www.sil.org/linguistics/ <http://www.sil.org/linguistics/>
          >
          > LearningTechnologiesSIG@yahoogroups.com
          > <mailto:LearningTechnologiesSIG%40yahoogroups.com> on 28 February 2007
          > at 00:13 +0000
          > wrote:
          > >Hi all!
          > >
          > >A very simple query... Some years back I downloaded a free phonetic font
          > >that was blissfully simple and intuitive to use (the capital "S" was //
          > >for instance). Now, with a new computer, I can't find one that doesn't
          > >require me to "Insert symbols" in Word. I would be very grateful to
          > >anyone who could direct me to the user-friendly font!
          > >
          > >Yours in hope,
          > >
          > >Valerie Bevan
          > >St Mary's School
          > >Cambridge UK
          >
          > Ruby Rennie
          > Programme Director, MEd TESOL
          > Charteris Land 5.5
          > Holyrood Road
          > Edinburgh EH8 8AQ
          >
          > ruby.rennie@... <mailto:ruby.rennie%40education.ed.ac.uk>
          > www.education.ed.ac.uk/crd/tesol

        • Wlodzimierz Sobkowiak
          Message 4 of 19 , Feb 28, 2007
            Have a look at http://www.phon.ucl.ac.uk/home/wells/phoneticsymbols.htm, the
            best analysis and help page on phonetic fonts.

            WS

            >Ruby Rennie wrote:
            >A very simple query... Some years back I downloaded a free phonetic font
            >that was blissfully simple and intuitive to use (the capital "S" was //
            >for instance). Now, with a new computer, I can't find one that doesn't
            >require me to "Insert symbols" in Word. I would be very grateful to
            >anyone who could direct me to the user-friendly font!

            prof. Wlodzimierz Sobkowiak
            School of English
            Adam Mickiewicz University
            al. Niepodleglosci 4
            61-874 Poznan
            Poland
            tel. (48-61) 8293506
            fax (48-61) 8523103
            e-mail: sobkow@...
            e-mail: swlodek@...
            official web page: http://ifa.amu.edu.pl/fa/Sobkowiak_Wlodzimierz
            personal web page: http://ifa.amu.edu.pl/~swlodek/
            skype: wasobk
          • Lenka Bucherová
            Message 5 of 19 , Feb 28, 2007
              Dear prof. Sobkowiak,
              that URL doesn�t work.....Could you provide any other? Thank you very much,

              Lenka Bucherov�, ESP teacher

              _____

            • brabbs@volny.cz
              Message 6 of 19 , Feb 28, 2007
                I recently discovered Jan Mulder's phonmap wasn't free and found Scriptwriter
                at
                http://www.e-lang.co.uk/mackichan/call/pron/type.html

                Phil
              • Dennis Newson
                Message 7 of 19 , Feb 28, 2007
                  Lenka,

                  The URL worked for me.

                  Dennis

                • Valerie Bevan
                  Message 8 of 19 , Feb 28, 2007
                    Very many thanks to those who replied to my "phonetic font" query.

                    Acting on Ruby Rennie's tip, I was eventually directed to www.phon.ucl.ac.uk/resource/phonetics/,
                    where I found exactly what I had previously been looking for without success.

                    I also followed up "phonmap", which is indeed inexpensive and is worth knowing about for recommendation to colleagues who don't care to get to know the phonetic keyboard.

                    Great job! What would I do without the LTSIG?

                    Valerie Bevan

                    I can highly recommend http://phonmap.com/ - it is no longer free - but cheap and very good value. (duncan.baker@...)

                    I have used the SIL fonts in the past: http://www.sil.org/linguistics/ (Ruby Rennie)
                  • Ruby Rennie
                    Message 9 of 19 , Mar 1, 2007
                      I have to admit that I am a regular "lurker" on this SIG - I look at the
                      subject line of messages that come through, and if I open the message I
                      quickly browse and then get back to what I was doing before. However, I
                      thought I'd share my recent use of a blog to tidy up my thinking processes
                      a bit!
                      I started writing a blog more than a year ago, but it was very sporadic
                      until recently. I hadn't really thought about what it would be useful for.
                      Making contact with people who are more "in the know" spurred me into
                      browsing other people's blogs and experimenting a bit, and I have found
                      that my own blog has developed its own kind of life. I use it more as a
                      notebook and a source for my interests and ideas. It is very easy to add
                      links, and once there I see them on the list and remember to have a quick
                      look every few days. I've also realised that the links and blogs I go to
                      have to be "sticky" - I need to know that something interesting is
                      happening, otherwise I get bored because it is just the same every time I
                      look.
                      The communication about the phonetic fonts was something that interested
                      me, and it was good to know the results of that mail. The chances are,
                      though, that I will lose that email, or forget where on my computer I
                      saved it. For that reason, I have written a blog post - as a kind of note
                      to myself. It is tagged, so I can find all the posts I've written about
                      "language" easily. I have also added it to my delicious links, which again
                      I can tag, and I can find these on any computer I go to (not just the
                      bookmarks on my own computer).

                      http://rubyrennie.edublogs.org/
                      http://del.icio.us/rubyr

                      Does anyone else have a blog that I might be interested in?????
                      Do you find that your way of working has changed like this too?

                      I'd be interested in any ideas (and to make it easier for me, being memory
                      challenged, it would be excellent if you added a comment to my blog post
                      ...)

                      Cheers
                      Ruby
                    • Brendan Wightman
                      Message 10 of 19 , Mar 2, 2007
                        Special congratulations to Gavin Dudeney and Nicky Hockley for winning an
                        ETON for their "ICT in the Classroom" online training course!

                        http://www.britishcouncil.org/learning-innovation-awards-2007-winners.htm

                        It's good to see the BC recognising and rewarding online teacher training.

                        Have a beer on me, Gavin!!

                        Brendan Wightman
                        E-Learning Content Manager
                        Cambridge ELT
                        Direct line: 01223 326470

                      • Wellington
                        Message 11 of 19 , Mar 5, 2007
                          And a glass of red wine on me :-)

                          Warm regards

                          Grazyna Studzinska-Cavour
                          Freelance Teacher Trainer, EuroCALL NatRep for Poland
                          <mailto:wellington@...> wellington@...
                          <http://www.linkedin.com/in/studzinska>
                          http://www.linkedin.com/in/studzinska
                        • Ruth Vilmi
                          Message 12 of 19 , Mar 5, 2007
                            My hearty congratulations to Gavin and Nicky! Could you please explain
                            to us ignorant folk what an ETON is please? I only know this
                            abbreviation as the name of a public school!

                            Ruth

                            Ruth Vilmi
                            Ruth Vilmi Online Education Ltd
                            E-learning, language checking and translation services
                            Company Web page: www.writeit.to
                            Art gallery: www.writeit.to/ruth/gallery
                            Email: ruth.vilmi@...
                            Alternative email: ruth.vilmi@...
                            Mobile: +358 50 368 4696
                          • Gavin Dudeney
                            Message 13 of 19 , Mar 5, 2007
                              Brendan,

                              Thanks a lot for that - it was great to win the award, and a grand night
                              out. Nice to see technology on the agenda.

                              Gavin

                              c/ Ceramica 54, 08035 Barcelona, Spain
                              Tel: +34 93 427 4240 | +44 20 7193 0770
                              HYPERLINK "http://www.theconsultants-e.com/"http://www.theconsultants-e.com

                              Winners, 2007 British Council ELTON awards - HYPERLINK
                              "http://tinyurl.com/3e2c54"http://tinyurl.com/3e2c54
                              Owners of the Second Life sim EduNation - HYPERLINK
                              "http://tinyurl.com/yehbto"http://tinyurl.com/yehbto
                              Sponsors of the 2006 UK Moodle Conference - HYPERLINK
                              "http://www.moodlemoot.org/"http://www.moodlemoot.org
                            • Gavin Dudeney
                              Message 14 of 19 , Mar 5, 2007
                                Ruth,

                                It's actually an ELTON (English Language Teaching innovatiON award) from the
                                British Council. More info here:

                                HYPERLINK
                                "http://www.britishcouncil.org/learning-innovation-awards"http://www.british

                                Message 15 of 19 , Mar 5, 2007
                                  Grazyna,

                                  Thanks - we did have one or two on Thursday ;-)

                                  Gavin
                                • NORMA BREWER
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Mar 5, 2007
                                    It's an ELTON
                                    not an ETON!

                                    Norma Brewer

                                    Norma Brewer
                                    nlbrewer@...

                                  • Ruth Vilmi
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Mar 5, 2007
                                      Thanks, Gavin. It was interesting to follow the link;-) Lots of
                                      interesting work there:-)

                                      Ruth

                                      --

                                      Ruth Vilmi
                                      Ruth Vilmi Online Education Ltd
                                      E-learning, language checking and translation services
                                      Company Web page: www.writeit.to
                                      Art gallery: www.writeit.to/ruth/gallery
                                      Email: ruth.vilmi@...
                                      Alternative email: ruth.vilmi@...
                                      Mobile: +358 50 368 4696
                                    • Paul KNIGHT
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Mar 6, 2007
                                        I'd like to add my voice to the chorus of congratulations - well done
                                        you folks!

                                        Paul

                                        Paul Knight

                                        Director of Year 1 Programme

                                        CELE Team Leader

                                        University of Nottingham, Ningbo, China

                                        199 Taikang East Road

                                        Ningbo 315100

                                        Zhejiang

                                        China

                                        Tel: +86 (0) 574 88180072

                                        Fax: +86 (0) 574 88180329

                                        .

                                        <http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=97359714/grpId=512122/grpspId=1705137079/ms
                                        gId=1836/stime=1173201207/nc1=4438958/nc2=3848515/nc3=3848567>

                                      • GEOFFREY TAYLOR
                                        Message 19 of 19 , Mar 9, 2007
                                          Hi

                                          I'd like to wish a belated congratulations to Gavin
                                          and Nicky for their award!

                                          Geoff Taylor

                                          Geoff Taylor
                                          CALL Co-ordinator, St Clare's, Oxford