Re: Self-Access Centre

  • Gary Motteram
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 5, 2007
      Hi All

      I thought I'd chip in here and ask what Gavin expects from a "top
      notch", "state-of-the-art" self-access centre? Do people think they
      have one and what does it contain in the year 2007? Is it physical/
      virtual or blended?

      Can I also ask which literature Liudmila was referring to in her posting?

      Look forward to hearing from you.

      Gary

      --- In LearningTechnologiesSIG@yahoogroups.com, "Mila Devel"
      <miladevel@...> wrote:

      > Dear Gavin
      >
      > according to the literature the best one is in Cambridge. i am very
      much
      > interested in this topic
      > i would be glad to hear either a confirmation or just understand
      that it is
      > not so. the most important for me is to know what is really the best
      one.

      > regards,
      >
      > Liudmila
      > Russia
      >
      > >From: "Gavin Dudeney" <gavin.dudeney@...>
      > >To: <LearningTechnologiesSIG@yahoogroups.com>
      > >Subject: [LearningTechnologiesSIG] Self-Access Centre
      > >Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2007 17:08:58 -0000
      > >
      > >Hi All,
      > >
      > >A friend of a friend (oh yeah!) is wanting to go and visit a top-notch
      > >self-access centre in Britain. Any idea where you can find a
      > >state-of-the-art self-access in Britain? One of the private language
      > >schools? Bell? One of the universities? Any hints would be useful.
      > >
      > >Thanks in advance,
      > >
      > >Gavin

    • Gavin Dudeney
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 5, 2007
        Gary,

        That was the extent of the request I received, so I'm very much in the dark.
        Ludmila - where in Cambridge? Any information would be valuable at this
        point...

        Gavin

        c/ Ceramica 54, 08035 Barcelona, Spain
        Tel: +34 93 427 4240 | +44 20 7193 0770
        HYPERLINK "http://www.theconsultants-e.com/"http://www.theconsultants-e.com

        Hi All

        I thought I'd chip in here and ask what Gavin expects from a "top
        notch", "state-of-the--art" self-access centre? Do people think they
        have one and what does it contain in the year 2007? Is it physical/
        virtual or blended?

        Can I also ask which literature Liudmila was referring to in her posting?

        Look forward to hearing from you.

        Gary

        --- In HYPERLINK
        "mailto:LearningTechnologiesSIG%40yahoogroups.com"LearningTechnologie-sSIG@y
        ahoogroups-.com, "Mila Devel"
        <miladevel@.-..> wrote:

        > Dear Gavin
        >
        > according to the literature the best one is in Cambridge. i am very
        much
        > interested in this topic
        > i would be glad to hear either a confirmation or just understand
        that it is
        > not so. the most important for me is to know what is really the best
        one.

        > regards,
        >
        > Liudmila
        > Russia
        >

        > >Subject: [LearningTechnologi-esSIG] Self-Access Centre
        > >Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2007 17:08:58 -0000
        > >
        > >Hi All,
        > >
        > >A friend of a friend (oh yeah!) is wanting to go and visit a top-notch
        > >self-access centre in Britain. Any idea where you can find a
        > >state-of-the--art self-access in Britain? One of the private language
        > >schools? Bell? One of the universities? Any hints would be useful.
        > >
        > >Thanks in advance,
        > >
        > >Gavin

      • Stephen Bax
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 7, 2007
          Hi Gavin, Gary, everyone

          A few years ago we also had someone who wanted to see self-access centres.
          We showed them our own one on Canterbury, then took them to see the Bell
          centre in Cambridge, and one or two others, but the whole business kind of
          related to Gary's question in the sense that

          a) we couldn't find any sort of 'top-notch' centre which satisfied us,
          including our own!
          b) we felt it might be a mythical beast! In many ways its success depends
          hugely on other factors, pedagogical, social and others, besides the
          physical centre itself.

          I have seen several in Mexico, where they put a lot of money into them,
          and use is patchy, to say the least.

          As Gary implies, things are changing in any case so I reckon the whole
          concept is due for a radical rethink.

          However, note that Sue Sheerin, who wrote 'Self-Access' - , Resource Books
          for Teachers Series (Oxford University Press) is at present working at
          Sussex: email - S.Sheerin@...

          so it might be worth your contact speaking to her?

          Stephen Bax

          --
          Dr. Stephen Bax
          Principal Lecturer, Department of Language Studies
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 7, 2007
            Stephen,

            Thanks for the info - I am compiling and chasing things up. Agree, though,
            that it's very much a moveable feast....