BBC | British Council teaching English newsletter 17 November, 2006

  • Nik Peachey
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 20, 2006

      Hello and welcome to the newsletter for the BBC | British Council site, Teaching English.

      This week we have a number of new resources for you.

      We have a new Think article which looks at ways to make reading in the classroom more communicative.

      "Many
      students do seem to regard reading as a waste of class time but how
      many of these students will read outside class without encouragement
      inside? The aim of this article is to consider a few approaches to
      making classroom reading more communicative, by which I mean
      integrating it with other skills work, so that students can see its
      value."

      http://www.teachingenglish.org.uk/think/read/com_read.shtml

      We also have a new quiz to help lower level learners with prepositions of time. You can download the questions and answers from:

      http://www.teachingenglish.org.uk/download/quizzes.shtml

      We have a new question regarding lessons about technology.

      "I
      have been teaching English for almost 20 years. The English department
      at my school has opened a new course for the students, "

      English
      for Technology and Information". My boss asked me to prepare the lesson
      plan for the course. I am very nervous what to start first? Can anyone
      help me?"

      http://www.teachingenglish.org.uk/talk/questions/technology.shtml

      This
      week's archive feature is the teaching knowledge database. This is a
      small programme which you can download to your desktop. You will then
      be able to browse a collection of key concepts in ELT and get
      definitions and examples as well as finding out how you can use these
      concepts in your teaching.

      Download the browser from:

      http://www.teachingenglish.org.uk/download/knowledge.shtml

      Many
      thanks to everyone who has voted in our poll on creating a simplified
      global English. This has been one of our most popular polls and has
      generated a wealth of interesting comments. If you would like to read
      them have a look at:

      http://www.teachingenglish.org.uk/talk/vote.asp

      Also don't miss your chance to enter our competition and win some free books for your school. Get more information at:

      http://www.britishcouncil.org/kids-parents-competition.htm

      Best Wishes

      Teaching English team
      teachingenglish@...