Re: [IATEFLComputer Sig] Digest Number 649

  • kimsenglish@tiscali.co.uk
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 9 5:56 AM
      Are you familiar with the Longman FCE Grammar practice (and it's earlier
      version which is unfortunately discontinued, the Grammar Rom)? It's a useful
      Self-Access style test teach test CD ROM covering the entire Cambridge FCE
      exams. It can also be used in class as it is interactive and can encourage
      the students to discuss their choices together. It also contains short video
      clips and animations.
      Regards,
      Kim.
      ps. Have you got in touch with the Webheads site
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/baw2005/

      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 9 11:36 AM
        Thank you all for the software ideas. They were very helpful. I have added
        them to my review list, which I would be more than happy to share after the
        first round of software review is completed by my review committee here.
        Cheers.

        Tarana Patel
        Computer Assisted Language Learning Coordinator
        University of California, Riverside
        1200 University Avenue
        Riverside, CA-92507
        Ph: 951-827-4346 X5641
        Eml: taranap@...

        >> Based on requests from teachers at our institution, I am looking for
        >> skills
        >> based and integrated software packages. We are currently using ELLIS but
        >> are
        >> open to exploring newer and more affordable options. As far as the skills
        >> based software goes, my teachers want some focused grammar practice for
        >> their intermediate students. I am considering some packages that come
        >> with
        >> textbooks by Longman and Oxford. I would really like to get any
        >> thoughts/suggestions/recommendations of software that you all use in your
        >> ESL Language Labs. Thanks a lot.
        >
        > I like the Reward Interactive CD-ROM series. Four levels: elem, pre-int,
        > inte and upper int. But the ones that get the most use in our school are
        > the
        > pre-int and int levels. You get 40 lessons, duplicating and greatly
        > extending and IMPROVING on the Reward course books by MacMillan Heineman.
        > Each lesson has a range of grammar, vocab, reading and listening, and pron
        > exercises - easy to link to a topic-based or grammatical syllabus. You
        > also
        > get periodic video lessons and review lessons. A good value one-stop shop
        > solution, I think, for class use, guided study, free study. [Of course,
        > it's
        > all controlled stuff, with the computer in the role of the teacher.]
        >
        > Oh dear, have just noticed you're US-based. This is a UK English course,
        > can't say if there's a US version. Sorry.
        >
        > Clarity puts out a good value product, Tensebuster, which is useful for
        > linking to grammar-based syllabuses.
        >
        > Best wishes
        >
        > --
        > Geoff Taylor
        > gjtaylor@...
        > CALL Coordinator, St Clare's, Oxford, UK
        > http://www.stclaresenglish.net/

        Yahoo! Groups Links