Re: [IATEFLComputer Sig] Digest Number 644

  • Simon Fenn
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 2, 2006
      Thanks Geoff. Useful tip.
      Cheers
      Simon

      > From: Geoff Taylor <gjtaylor99@...>
      > Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2006 20:46:01 +0000
      > To: <IATEFLComputerSig@yahoogroups.com>
      > Subject: Re: [IATEFLComputer Sig] Digest Number 644
      >
      > Dear Simon
      >
      >> From: Simon Fenn <simonfenn@...>
      >> Subject: Video Conferencing
      >>
      >> Dear all
      >>
      >> Has anyone got any useful experience with video conferencing that they'd be
      >> willing to share?
      >>
      >> I'm looking for software, hardware and tips on use (class-to-class,
      >> teacher-to-class, teacher-to-teacher, whatever). Shared thoughts on any of
      >> these would be very welcome!
      >
      > There's a free 6-week video editing course hosted/organised by Electronic
      > Village Online & TESOL currently running. Although the area is not the same,
      > people involved in that may be worth contacting.
      > Quote: "The Video and Editing Yahoo! Group is an Electronic Village Online
      > tutorial, a training session sponsored by the Video and Digital Media
      > Interest Section of the TESOL organisation. We hope that you will find most
      > of your video-related questions and answers here, as it is related to
      > ESL/EFL. Feel free to ask questions. Evo Sessions are from January 16 to
      > February 26 [6 weeks]"
      >
      > Best wishes
      >
      > --
      > Geoff Taylor
      > CALL Coordinator, St Clare's, Oxford, UK
      > http://www.stclaresenglish.net/

    • Tarana Patel
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 6, 2006
        Hi all,
        Based on requests from teachers at our institution, I am looking for skills
        based and integrated software packages. We are currently using ELLIS but are
        open to exploring newer and more affordable options. As far as the skills
        based software goes, my teachers want some focused grammar practice for
        their intermediate students. I am considering some packages that come with
        textbooks by Longman and Oxford. I would really like to get any
        thoughts/suggestions/recommendations of software that you all use in your
        ESL Language Labs. Thanks a lot.

        Tarana Patel
        Computer Assisted Language Learning Coordinator
        University of California, Riverside
        1200 University Avenue
        Riverside, CA-92507
        Ph: 951-827-4346 X5641
        Eml: taranap@...

        > Has anyone got any useful experience with video conferencing that they'd
        be
        > willing to share?
        >
        > I'm looking for software, hardware and tips on use (class-to-class,
        > teacher-to-class, teacher-to-teacher, whatever). Shared thoughts on any
        of
        > these would be very welcome!

        There's a free 6-week video editing course hosted/organised by Electronic
        Village Online & TESOL currently running. Although the area is not the same,
        people involved in that may be worth contacting.
        Quote: "The Video and Editing Yahoo! Group is an Electronic Village Online
        tutorial, a training session sponsored by the Video and Digital Media
        Interest Section of the TESOL organisation. We hope that you will find most
        of your video-related questions and answers here, as it is related to
        ESL/EFL. Feel free to ask questions. Evo Sessions are from January 16 to
        February 26 [6 weeks]"

        Best wishes

        --
        Geoff Taylor
        CALL Coordinator, St Clare's, Oxford, UK
        http://www.stclaresenglish.net/

      • Geoff Taylor
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 7, 2006
          Hi Tarana

          on 6/2/06 11:14 pm, Tarana Patel at taranap@... wrote:

          > Based on requests from teachers at our institution, I am looking for skills
          > based and integrated software packages. We are currently using ELLIS but are
          > open to exploring newer and more affordable options. As far as the skills
          > based software goes, my teachers want some focused grammar practice for
          > their intermediate students. I am considering some packages that come with
          > textbooks by Longman and Oxford. I would really like to get any
          > thoughts/suggestions/recommendations of software that you all use in your
          > ESL Language Labs. Thanks a lot.

          I like the Reward Interactive CD-ROM series. Four levels: elem, pre-int,
          inte and upper int. But the ones that get the most use in our school are the
          pre-int and int levels. You get 40 lessons, duplicating and greatly
          extending and IMPROVING on the Reward course books by MacMillan Heineman.
          Each lesson has a range of grammar, vocab, reading and listening, and pron
          exercises - easy to link to a topic-based or grammatical syllabus. You also
          get periodic video lessons and review lessons. A good value one-stop shop
          solution, I think, for class use, guided study, free study. [Of course, it's
          all controlled stuff, with the computer in the role of the teacher.]

          Oh dear, have just noticed you're US-based. This is a UK English course,
          can't say if there's a US version. Sorry.

          Clarity puts out a good value product, Tensebuster, which is useful for
          linking to grammar-based syllabuses.

          Best wishes

          --
          Geoff Taylor
          gjtaylor@...
          CALL Coordinator, St Clare's, Oxford, UK
          http://www.stclaresenglish.net/
        • katharma
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 8, 2006
            Hi Tarana;

            Have tried Longma's Focus on Grammar Textbook,
            Workbook, and software for practicing in the computer
            lab. They have basic, intermediate, high intermediate,
            and advanced. We here in Nicaragua think it is worth
            trying. We have had good results with our students.

            Regards

            Ramon

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • María Jordano
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 17, 2006
              Hi all,

              Of course I would recommend Reward, though I would like to know at the
              same time if there is any new method based on the European Portfolio...

              Other question, Do you know "Lerny" (www.lerny.com)? Any feedback about
              that?

              Regards,

              María

              --
              María Jordano de la Torre

              www.mariajordano.com
              CETA, Cordoba English Teachers Association
              www.infoceta.org
              Atlas (Artificial Intelligence Techniques for Linguistic Aplications)
              http://atlas.uned.es/inter/