Re: [IATEFLComputer Sig] Re: Video Conferencing

  • Eric Baber
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 31, 2006
      > Well, ideally using the internet because it's cheap and accessible but I
      > gather there are serious quality issues, especially if you want to do
      > anything more than face-to-face conferencing.

      Quite the opposite I'd say. Yes, there are quality issues with Internet
      videoconferencing, but those are largely in the video-area. I.e. if
      high-quality video is crucial, you're better off with a dedicated
      videoconferencing system (and yes, that's substantially more expensive).
      However, if you're after MORE than f2f conferencing - i.e. file-sharing,
      collaborative on-screen working etc - Internet conferencing tends to be much
      better in terms of ease-of-use since you've effectively got two or more PCs
      connected, which is what you're after if you're wanting to show each
      other/work on PowerPoint presentations together, show each other websites
      and so on.

      > I guess this is where all the
      > development's likely to be, rather than in expensive old ISDN technology,
      so
      > I'm hoping there are new solutions out there....

      Well, the two are merging to some extent in that many of the old ISDN boxes
      now also work over IP, so instead of hooking up to each other on a
      pay-per-minute ISDN line you can hook up together via the Internet (and as
      long as both connection speeds are fast enough the quality can be just as
      good, if not better, than via ISDN).

      Coming back to your original e-mail - as Robert says his site's a good one
      to start off with for an initial overview, but you'll probably want to
      refine your questions in order to get more detailed answers.

      (We've been using Internet videoconferencing for teaching languages online
      for a while now, by the way - http://www.netlearnlanguages.com )

      Cheers

      Eric

      --