Re: [IATEFLComputer Sig] Help please: blackboard courseinfo

  • Eric Baber
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 15 12:56 AM
      Dear Wararat,

      I've just tried logging in both through Internet Explorer and Netscape
      Navigator, and in both the Communications Center is completely empty. This
      indicates that it's not a problem with your computer but that perhaps
      somehow the Communications tools have been deleted or maybe hidden... I
      don't know if it's possible to hide features like that in Blackboard, but
      you may want to check to see if that's possible, and then see if that's the
      case.

      Are you the only one with designer's access to the course? If someone else
      has designer's access, have you checked with them to see what they've done
      in there recently?

      Hope that helps!

      Best regards

      Eric
    • Wararat Whanchit
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 15 2:38 AM
        Thank you, Eric.

        >indicates that it's not a problem with your computer but that perhaps
        >somehow the Communications tools have been deleted or maybe hidden... I
        >don't know if it's possible to hide features like that in Blackboard,
        It is possible to hide any features.

        >Are you the only one with designer's access to the course?
        I have checked recent access, the only person is I myself. And I remember
        not deleting anything or making any changes.

        >Hope that helps!
        I also contact support team asking for back-up files. I do not know whether
        Blackboard course admin would have this facility.
        Should this not be possible, I would learn a big lesson about technology ;-p

        You never know...

        Wararat
      • Eric Baber
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 15 4:46 AM
          Hi again Wararat,

          > It is possible to hide any features.

          I thought so - I use WebCT and it's possible in that as well. I assume
          you've checked now that nothing is hidden...

          > I have checked recent access, the only person is I myself. And I remember
          > not deleting anything or making any changes.
          > I also contact support team asking for back-up files. I do not know
          whether
          > Blackboard course admin would have this facility.

          Well, I would imagine that they back up the system regularly, but whether
          they'll restore certain backups for you or not is another matter. They'd
          probably have to spend some time finding the right backup and the right
          files on that backup, which they might not be willing to do.

          Are you using a free course, or have you paid for it (i.e. are you paying
          for their server space)? That might make a difference as to how willing they
          are to help out. I noticed that the access speed was alright - I've used
          their free servers in the past and they were terribly slow, so you've either
          paid for it or they've upgraded their servers.

          > Should this not be possible, I would learn a big lesson about technology
          ;-p

          Absolutely! The problem especially with discussion boards is that they're
          quite difficult to back up/export for the teacher. Backing up the whole
          system from their administrator's point of view is no problem, but for you,
          accessing it only via the web, it's quite difficult or even impossible to
          export the whole discussion board. Individual files/pages are probably
          relatively easy to download, on the other hand, so you might want to do
          that.

          Actually, come to think of it, there may be a tool from the designer's view
          that lets you back up your entire course and download that backup. There is
          in WebCT, so there might be one in Blackboard as well. Check under "Course
          Management" or something like that if there is such an area.

          Regards

          Eric
        • Noi
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 15 5:04 PM
            Hi Eric (and all),
            Thank you for all advice. The discussion board does work now, and I still do
            not understand what happened.
            The support team only mentioned that the options were disabled, and told me
            to enable them. Believe me, the options mentioned were not there when I
            desperately tried to access. Dunno.

            I now have to back up the discussion board manually since the export
            function does not seem possible with this option.
            Well, there are lots more things that a teacher who hardly knows about
            technical things has to learn. I would personally say that Courseinfo is a
            good tool. It is easy to use, especially for those teachers with only little
            background in technical field.
            However, an unforeseen problem might occur. It is much cleverer to back up
            all work regularly.

            Btw, I am using a free course. I guess you are right saying that they might
            have upgraded the servers.
            Cheerio,
            Wararat

            > I thought so - I use WebCT and it's possible in that as well. I assume
            > you've checked now that nothing is hidden...
            >
            > > I have checked recent access, the only person is I myself. And I
            remember
            > > not deleting anything or making any changes.
            > > I also contact support team asking for back-up files. I do not know
            > whether
            > > Blackboard course admin would have this facility.
            >
            > Well, I would imagine that they back up the system regularly, but whether
            > they'll restore certain backups for you or not is another matter. They'd
            > probably have to spend some time finding the right backup and the right
            > files on that backup, which they might not be willing to do.
            >
            > Are you using a free course, or have you paid for it (i.e. are you paying
            > for their server space)? That might make a difference as to how willing
            they
            > are to help out. I noticed that the access speed was alright - I've used
            > their free servers in the past and they were terribly slow, so you've
            either
            > paid for it or they've upgraded their servers.
            >
            > > Should this not be possible, I would learn a big lesson about technology
            > ;-p
            >
            > Absolutely! The problem especially with discussion boards is that they're
            > quite difficult to back up/export for the teacher. Backing up the whole
            > system from their administrator's point of view is no problem, but for
            you,
            > accessing it only via the web, it's quite difficult or even impossible to
            > export the whole discussion board. Individual files/pages are probably
            > relatively easy to download, on the other hand, so you might want to do
            > that.
            >
            > Actually, come to think of it, there may be a tool from the designer's
            view
            > that lets you back up your entire course and download that backup. There
            is
            > in WebCT, so there might be one in Blackboard as well. Check under "Course
            > Management" or something like that if there is such an area.
            >
            > Regards
            >
            > Eric

          • Eric Baber
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 16 1:45 AM
              Sawas-dee khrap, Noi :-)

              > Thank you for all advice. The discussion board does work now, and I still
              do
              > not understand what happened.

              Ah, aren't computers fun.

              > The support team only mentioned that the options were disabled, and told
              me
              > to enable them. Believe me, the options mentioned were not there when I
              > desperately tried to access. Dunno.

              Sounds strange, especially since it worked originally, and then stopped
              working without you changing any options. There should be a log file
              somewhere that they can check to see what happened, but I doubt that they
              will, now that everything is running again...

              > I now have to back up the discussion board manually since the export
              > function does not seem possible with this option.

              That sounds like a lot of work! How are you backing it up manually? Copying
              each individual message into a text-file of some sort?

              > However, an unforeseen problem might occur. It is much cleverer to back up
              > all work regularly.

              If you have that option it certainly is a good idea to use it, yes!

              Best regards

              Eric
            • Noi
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 16 3:02 AM
                Dear all,

                Since the problem was somehow solved, I would say thank you for your
                intention.

                > Sawas-dee khrap, Noi :-)
                Impressive :-p

                > Ah, aren't computers fun.
                I could hardly find it fun, to be honest.

                > That sounds like a lot of work! How are you backing it up manually?
                Copying
                > each individual message into a text-file of some sort?

                I do not know any other simpler ways. Anybody have an idea or experience on
                this matter?
                Cheers,

                Wararat