RE: [IATEFLComputer Sig] Digest Number 616

  • Csibi Erzsébet
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 8, 2005
      Dear Csilla,

      Unfortunately I cannot give you advice for setting up the centre, but having
      been a manager for a British Council Resource Centre in Hungary, I would
      strongly suggest to lend books to people, and also organise smaller events
      like film clubs, reading clubs, competitions (even ones for which they have
      to use the Internet) and so on to make the centre attractive for language
      learning.

      If you need any ideas, please don't hesitate to drop me a mail, maybe I can
      help. :-)

      Regards,

      Erzsébet Csibi
    • Lesley Graham
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 8, 2005
        Csilla,
        Have you thought about joining Ranacles, an association which brings
        together lots of other people who run language centres in French
        universities? Their next conference is in Caen at the end of the month.
        http://www.ranacles.org/
        Hope this helps
        Lesley

        Lesley Graham
        DLVP
        Université Victor Segalen Bordeaux 2
        3 ter Pl de La Victoire
        33076 Bordeaux Cedex
        France
        lesley.graham@lv.u-bordeaux2.fr
      • kimsenglish@tiscali.co.uk
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 8, 2005
          Csilla,
          What an interesting name!
          I thought of so many suggestions it would turn into a small publication!
          Perhaps we could help if you narrow down the 'student needs' a bit more
          precisely - what levels do you want to provide for; are any needing to
          prepare for exams or is it 'just for pleasure'; do you have a budget or will
          you rely on donations???
          If academic writing skills are the order of the day perhaps linking up to a
          website that offers feedback on student work may be worth tracking down
          unless you intend to offer that service! I'm sure someone in the SIG can
          suggest something.
          Also, will the students need to present their work in spoken English and is
          conversational English important? I'd recommend using Yahoo, MSN or Skype
          for students to practise this. Purchase some headsets with a boom
          microphone, provided your pc's are equipped with a sound card, this online
          interaction would be a big draw, I'm sure... (are you networked!!??). Better
          still, join in some of the group discussions on sites like Dekita or BAW
          (become a webhead) and 'literacytent' which all give online discussion
          groups somewhere to meet and talk. Once the students are actively involved
          they'll no doubt come back for more at which point you can input from your
          wonderful collection of material!
          Can you get the British/American papers delivered - given to you (a day old
          even) from another Uni or from your own Uni library? Even having a few
          papers in English lying around may inspire some reading. I always think
          learning centres need to be homely - a bit like a common room or else
          students don't want to congregate there. Put an old sofa (leather of
          course!) in a corner next to the coffee machine and watch them queue up!

          Regards,

          Kim
          From: "csilla2105" <csilla2105@...>

          Message: 1
          Date: Sun, 06 Nov 2005 20:45:56 -0000
          From: "csilla2105" <csilla2105@...>
          Subject: setting up a "multimedia center"

          Hi Everyone,
          I teach english at the Science Faculty of the Univeristé de Paris,France.

          We're trying to set up a multimedia room for free access. We have 10
          computers, 2 TVs with DVD players, 2 taperecorders with headphones and
          a tiny library.
          Our students have heavy schedules throughout the week and do not often
          come to work on languages in their free time.I'm looking for ideas
          that would help motivate them and give our center more life.

          Also I'd like to know whether lending books (readers or other) to the
          students would have any benefits compared to a situation where they
          can only read books while in the center.
          I'm looking for ideas where the library could become an active part of
          the center.

          I'd welcome any other ideas that would help get our center off the
          ground .
          Csilla