RE: [IATEFLComputer Sig] Language lab software

  • Tarana Patel
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 13, 2005
      Hi Clive,
      I run a lab here at UCR with 100 computers dedicated for an IEP program.
      From experience, I would definitely suggest investing in a general English
      software and Blackboard (to me it is the best course management system
      around). A lot of English software these days comes with content and may
      include drills and pronunciation practice with it.

      Another system that comes in handy for administering tests and teaching in
      the lab is a class management system that we have here called X CLASS
      (http://www.suntechgroup.com/classroomcontrol/). It allows you to broadcast
      the instructor screen to students, capture their screen, and access any
      student computer from the instructor machine in addition to several other
      features related to collaboration in the lab classroom. IT also offers an
      additional audio recording component which you can choose to add to the
      packet or not. We are very happy with it here and find it very helpful in
      our classes for specific activities in groups or individually. It definitely
      keeps them on task and prevents them from surfing the web during class.

      As far as audio and video capture go, you many not need that facility in
      every machine in the lab. You could choose to have stations that students
      can sign up to use when they need to. That definitely saves a lot of the
      cost.

      Hope this helps. Let me know if you have further questions. I would be more
      than happy to share.

      Tarana Patel
      Computer Assisted Language Learning Coordinator
      University of California, Riverside
      1200 University Avenue
      Riverside, CA-92507
      Ph: 951-827-4346 X5641
      Eml: taranap@...

      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 13, 2005
        > Hi,
        >
        > If you're looking for a VLE, then I'd say it's senseless to spend an awful
        > lot of money on Blackboard (especially now, while it's in transition with
        > its acquisition of WebCT) when you can hhave the same (or better) for free
        > in Moodle - www.moodle.org. Give it a go - plenty of universities
        > worldwide
        > are quietly switching to it to avoid the outrageous fees charged by
        > Blackboard, WebCT, etc.
        >
        > Gavin

        Hello,

        I agree...

        And here you find another free option: http://www.dokeos.com/
        It's worth a try...

        Andreas
      • Gavin Dudeney
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 14, 2005
          Hi,

          If you're looking for a VLE, then I'd say it's senseless to spend an awful
          lot of money on Blackboard (especially now, while it's in transition with
          its acquisition of WebCT) when you can hhave the same (or better) for free
          in Moodle - www.moodle.org. Give it a go - plenty of universities worldwide
          are quietly switching to it to avoid the outrageous fees charged by
          Blackboard, WebCT, etc.

          Gavin

          Gavin Dudeney - Project Director
          The Consultants-E, S.L.L.

          Email: gavin.dudeney@...
          Website: http://www.theconsultants-e.com
          Skype: theconsultants-e
          MSN: gavindudeney@...

          Office (General Enquiries): +44 (0) 20 7193 0770

          Direct Line (Gavin): +34 93 350 5161
          Fax: +44 (0) 870 705 9464
          Mobile (Gavin): +34 669 267 444

          CONFIDENTIALITY AND DISCLAIMER NOTICE

        • Vance Stevens
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 14, 2005
            In a recent forum at my college, someone indicated that the institutes
            switching to Moodle tend to be smaller, more poorly funded, community
            college institutions, and he wasn't aware, he said, of any big name
            institutions (i.e. truly serious, well endowed, large-scale institutions)
            who were using anything but the (implied) more robust and professional
            name-brands Blackboard, WebCT, Desire to Learn, First Class, etc.

            I would hope that someone on this list can give an example (or two, or
            twenty) of a university in the latter category going over to Moodle not just
            on financial grounds, but on its merits. Any feedback on that one?

            Vance

            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 14, 2005
              Vance,

              University of Glasgow, UK.... University of Strathclyde, UK (partial)...
              University of Dublin - those are three, at the very least who have switched
              to Moodle for pedagogical reasons as well as financial. Every time I go to a
              conference in the UK, there is always someone from a major university or
              college explaining why they made the switch. Not sure about the States, but
              here's an interesting study...

              http://www.humboldt.edu/~jdv1/moodle/all.htm

            • Tim Francis
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 17, 2005
                The University of Bath has apparently decided to phase out Blackboard in
                favour of Moodle.

                See our e-learning page:
                <http://www.bath.ac.uk/e-learning/news>

                (Don't know if we count as a 'big name' institution, but I rather hope we
                do. Anyhow I don't think the switch-over was purely on financial grounds).

                tim

                --On 14 October 2005 11:35 -0700 Vance Stevens <vstevens@...>
                wrote:

                > In a recent forum at my college, someone indicated that the institutes
                > switching to Moodle tend to be smaller, more poorly funded, community
                > college institutions, and he wasn't aware, he said, of any big name
                > institutions (i.e. truly serious, well endowed, large-scale institutions)
                > who were using anything but the (implied) more robust and professional
                > name-brands Blackboard, WebCT, Desire to Learn, First Class, etc.
                >
                > I would hope that someone on this list can give an example (or two, or
                > twenty) of a university in the latter category going over to Moodle not
                > just on financial grounds, but on its merits. Any feedback on that one?
                >
                > Vance

                Tim Francis
                English Language Centre
                University of Bath
                01225-383139
                T.J.Francis@...
              • Richard Davie
                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 17, 2005
                  The University of Glasgow has adopted Moodle. I couldn't say on what grounds, but as it's going (like so many HE institutions in the UK) through a periodic financial crisis, I wouldn't be surprised if cost was a factor.

                  Richard Davie
                  ELT Division
                  Livingstone Tower
                  University of Strathclyde