Business English: teaching writing online

  • ma_els_4
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 16 6:25 PM
      Hi all,

      I've just started to dabble with online language learning and one
      question seems to be on my mind constantly. The writing component is
      crucial in an English for Business course, eg. writing resumes,
      reports, memos, etc. Considering the current wave of technology, more
      and more people are too busy to attend face-to-face classes and thus
      are turning to online learning courses that can be taken at their own
      convenient time and place. Unlike classroom English where teachers are
      still around to guide students, these online courses lack that
      support. The question is, how will guidance be provided to the
      students during the writing component in the online course. Who checks
      what they have written? How will the students know whether they are
      writing the "right" way? Wouldn't it be labour intensive to provide
      headcount to read through the written assignments? Wouldn't this then
      translate to higher cost, thus higher fees for the online course?

      I would appreciate it if you could offer your thoughts or guide to
      some reading materials about this.

      Best regards!