RE: [IATEFLComputer Sig] Opinion on some web pages

  • Tarana Patel
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 30, 2005
      Hi Gavin,
      I often have to teach English conversation to school students as a part of
      our intensive summer and round the year programs. One website that pops
      right up in my mind is school.discovery.com (hosted by the Discovery
      Channel). It not only gives you tons of interesting facts and information on
      various topics but also has a separate site for teachers and students with
      tons of lesson plans, templates, and activity ideas. See if it helps. Would
      love to see your list too once it is over.

      I made my own annotated bibliography almost three years ago, which I am
      attaching here. Occasionally, I have gone back to it to check on the
      websites and add a few here and there. Recently, I haven't had a chance to
      revise it but hope it can give you ideas for whatever you are attempting to
      achieve.

      Best,
      Tarana Patel
      Computer Assisted Language Learning Coordinator
      University of California, Riverside
      1200 University Avenue
      Riverside, CA-92507
      Ph: 951-827-4346 X5641
      Eml: taranap@...

      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 1, 2005
        Hi Tarana

        How are you? Got your message today, but the attachment was not there -
        possibly stripped out by the mailing list. Could I possibly ask you to
        send it privately, please. This has been a very productive thread and
        extremely useful for many of us.

        Best wishes

        Kenny Graham
        Bell, Cambridge, UK

        > I'm preparing a summer course for secondary (11 - 18 year olds) school

        > teachers her in Spain based loosely around the concept of skills work
        > on the Net. I'm just assessing which sites to use and would like to
        > invite you to share your favourite sites for teaching under the
        > following headings:
        >

        > 1) Listening (audio / video) VOA (Voice of America): Puts me to
        sleep
        but it's easy for students to understand so it's good as a confidence
        booster but shouldn't be overused. I set comprehension questions for
        students. Some files are too long like the one about Memphis but others
        are divided up into different topics so they're shorter and easier
        e.g.the Galapagos report.

        > 2) Reading
        > 3) Speaking: The quiz page in GuardianUnlimited. A bit of pre-vocab
        > work
        required usually and have to be careful re content, sometimes obviously
        very oriented towards a Briton but some of the topics are pretty
        universal e.g are you overworked? (mind you, for a 11 yr old?) I
        remember seeing a quiz for teenagers, can't remember the exact topic.
        You have to hunt around for the quiz pages but they're there. Generates
        a good bit of conversation.

        Mary Foley

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        Celebrating 50 years of academic excellence

        Bell Disclaimer: Please note that this email is sent subject to the terms and conditions specified on
        http://www.bell-centres.com/information/bellemail.htm
      • Tarana Patel
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 1, 2005
          Hi folks,
          I am not sure why the WORD document attachment did not come through. I am
          resending it to Kenny and Sophie as a CC of this email. I am also resending
          it to the group.

          The URL I suggested for Gavin is: school.discovery.com

          Hope this works.
          Best,
          Tarana Patel
          Computer Assisted Language Learning Coordinator
          University of California, Riverside
          1200 University Avenue
          Riverside, CA-92507
          Ph: 951-827-4346 X5641
          Eml: taranap@...

          > I'm preparing a summer course for secondary (11 - 18 year olds) school

          > teachers her in Spain based loosely around the concept of skills work
          > on the Net. I'm just assessing which sites to use and would like to
          > invite you to share your favourite sites for teaching under the
          > following headings:
          >

          > 1) Listening (audio / video) VOA (Voice of America): Puts me to
          sleep
          but it's easy for students to understand so it's good as a confidence
          booster but shouldn't be overused. I set comprehension questions for
          students. Some files are too long like the one about Memphis but others
          are divided up into different topics so they're shorter and easier
          e.g.the Galapagos report.

          > 2) Reading
          > 3) Speaking: The quiz page in GuardianUnlimited. A bit of pre-vocab
          > work
          required usually and have to be careful re content, sometimes obviously
          very oriented towards a Briton but some of the topics are pretty
          universal e.g are you overworked? (mind you, for a 11 yr old?) I
          remember seeing a quiz for teenagers, can't remember the exact topic.
          You have to hunt around for the quiz pages but they're there. Generates
          a good bit of conversation.

          Mary Foley

          Yahoo! Groups Links

          Yahoo! Groups Links

          Celebrating 50 years of academic excellence

          Bell Disclaimer: Please note that this email is sent subject to the terms
          and conditions specified on
          http://www.bell-centres.com/information/bellemail.htm

          Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Sophie and Yiannis
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 1, 2005
            Thank you very much for the selection of websites in the attachment, Tarana.
            It is very useful.

            Attachments are not allowed on the list but I will try to upload the file on
            our yahoogroups area, if it is OK with you. Then people can access it from
            there.

            Thanks again, Tarana
            Sophie

            > I am not sure why the WORD document attachment did not come through. I am
            > resending it to Kenny and Sophie as a CC of this email. I am also
            resending
            > it to the group.
            >
            > The URL I suggested for Gavin is: school.discovery.com
            >
            > Hope this works.
            > Best,
            > Tarana Patel
            > Computer Assisted Language Learning Coordinator
            > University of California, Riverside
            > 1200 University Avenue
            > Riverside, CA-92507
            > Ph: 951-827-4346 X5641
            > Eml: taranap@...

          • Tarana Patel

              > I am not sure why the WORD document attachment did not come through. I am
              > resending it to Kenny and Sophie as a CC of this email. I am also
              resending
              > it to the group.
              >
              > The URL I suggested for Gavin is: school.discovery.com
              >
              > Hope this works.
              > Best,
              > Tarana Patel
              > Computer Assisted Language Learning Coordinator
              > University of California, Riverside
              > 1200 University Avenue
              > Riverside, CA-92507
              > Ph: 951-827-4346 X5641
              > Eml: taranap@...

              Yahoo! Groups Links
            • Glenys Hanson
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 3, 2005
                Hello,
                I have an annotated list of sites here
                <http://cla.univ-fcomte.fr/english/sites/index_a.htm>
                Cheers,
                Glenys

                Glenys Hanson, Teacher of English,
                Centre de Lingustique Appliqueé, Université de Franche-Comté, France
                glenys.hanson@..., <http://cla.univ-fcomte.fr/english/index_s.htm>
              • Ton Koenraad
                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 4, 2005
                  Hello Glenys,
                  Thanks for your list.
                  I react to the disappointment expressed about the info at the
                  TalenQuest (LanguageQuest) site being in Dutch only.
                  For info in English you could consult
                  ongoing project on design criteria for FL-webquests.

                  your --- In IATEFLComputerSig@yahoogroups.com, Glenys Hanson