Opinion on some web pages

  • Mary Foley
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 29, 2005
      > Hi All,
      >
      > I'm preparing a summer course for secondary (11 - 18 year olds) school
      > teachers her in Spain based loosely around the concept of skills work
      > on the Net. I'm just assessing which sites to use and would like to
      > invite you to share your favourite sites for teaching under the
      > following headings:
      >

      > 1) Listening (audio / video) VOA (Voice of America): Puts me to sleep
      but it's easy for students to understand so it's good as a confidence
      booster but shouldn't be overused. I set comprehension questions for
      students. Some files are too long like the one about Memphis but others are
      divided up into different topics so they're shorter and easier e.g.the
      Galapagos report.

      > 2) Reading
      > 3) Speaking: The quiz page in GuardianUnlimited. A bit of pre-vocab work
      required usually and have to be careful re content, sometimes obviously very
      oriented towards a Briton but some of the topics are pretty universal e.g
      are you overworked? (mind you, for a 11 yr old?) I remember seeing a quiz
      for teenagers, can't remember the exact topic. You have to hunt around for
      the quiz pages but they're there. Generates a good bit of conversation.

      Mary Foley
    • Tarana Patel
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 30, 2005
        Hi Gavin,
        I often have to teach English conversation to school students as a part of
        our intensive summer and round the year programs. One website that pops
        right up in my mind is school.discovery.com (hosted by the Discovery
        Channel). It not only gives you tons of interesting facts and information on
        various topics but also has a separate site for teachers and students with
        tons of lesson plans, templates, and activity ideas. See if it helps. Would
        love to see your list too once it is over.

        I made my own annotated bibliography almost three years ago, which I am
        attaching here. Occasionally, I have gone back to it to check on the
        websites and add a few here and there. Recently, I haven't had a chance to
        revise it but hope it can give you ideas for whatever you are attempting to
        achieve.

        Best,
        Tarana Patel
        Computer Assisted Language Learning Coordinator
        University of California, Riverside
        1200 University Avenue
        Riverside, CA-92507
        Ph: 951-827-4346 X5641
        Eml: taranap@...

        > I'm preparing a summer course for secondary (11 - 18 year olds) school
        > teachers her in Spain based loosely around the concept of skills work
        > on the Net. I'm just assessing which sites to use and would like to
        > invite you to share your favourite sites for teaching under the
        > following headings:
        >

        > 1) Listening (audio / video) VOA (Voice of America): Puts me to sleep
        but it's easy for students to understand so it's good as a confidence
        booster but shouldn't be overused. I set comprehension questions for
        students. Some files are too long like the one about Memphis but others are
        divided up into different topics so they're shorter and easier e.g.the
        Galapagos report.

        > 2) Reading
        > 3) Speaking: The quiz page in GuardianUnlimited. A bit of pre-vocab work
        required usually and have to be careful re content, sometimes obviously very
        oriented towards a Briton but some of the topics are pretty universal e.g
        are you overworked? (mind you, for a 11 yr old?) I remember seeing a quiz
        for teenagers, can't remember the exact topic. You have to hunt around for
        the quiz pages but they're there. Generates a good bit of conversation.

        Mary Foley

        Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Kenny Graham
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 1, 2005
          Hi Tarana

          How are you? Got your message today, but the attachment was not there -
          possibly stripped out by the mailing list. Could I possibly ask you to
          send it privately, please. This has been a very productive thread and
          extremely useful for many of us.

          Best wishes

          Kenny Graham
          Bell, Cambridge, UK

          > I'm preparing a summer course for secondary (11 - 18 year olds) school

          > teachers her in Spain based loosely around the concept of skills work
          > on the Net. I'm just assessing which sites to use and would like to
          > invite you to share your favourite sites for teaching under the
          > following headings:
          >

          > 1) Listening (audio / video) VOA (Voice of America): Puts me to
          sleep
          but it's easy for students to understand so it's good as a confidence
          booster but shouldn't be overused. I set comprehension questions for
          students. Some files are too long like the one about Memphis but others
          are divided up into different topics so they're shorter and easier
          e.g.the Galapagos report.

          > 2) Reading
          > 3) Speaking: The quiz page in GuardianUnlimited. A bit of pre-vocab
          > work
          required usually and have to be careful re content, sometimes obviously
          very oriented towards a Briton but some of the topics are pretty
          universal e.g are you overworked? (mind you, for a 11 yr old?) I
          remember seeing a quiz for teenagers, can't remember the exact topic.
          You have to hunt around for the quiz pages but they're there. Generates
          a good bit of conversation.

          Mary Foley

          Yahoo! Groups Links

          Yahoo! Groups Links

          Celebrating 50 years of academic excellence

          Bell Disclaimer: Please note that this email is sent subject to the terms and conditions specified on
          http://www.bell-centres.com/information/bellemail.htm
        • Tarana Patel
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 1, 2005
            Hi folks,
            I am not sure why the WORD document attachment did not come through. I am
            resending it to Kenny and Sophie as a CC of this email. I am also resending
            it to the group.

            The URL I suggested for Gavin is: school.discovery.com

            Hope this works.
            Best,
            Tarana Patel
            Computer Assisted Language Learning Coordinator
            University of California, Riverside
            1200 University Avenue
            Riverside, CA-92507
            Ph: 951-827-4346 X5641
            Eml: taranap@...

            > I'm preparing a summer course for secondary (11 - 18 year olds) school

            > teachers her in Spain based loosely around the concept of skills work
            > on the Net. I'm just assessing which sites to use and would like to
            > invite you to share your favourite sites for teaching under the
            > following headings:
            >

            > 1) Listening (audio / video) VOA (Voice of America): Puts me to
            sleep
            but it's easy for students to understand so it's good as a confidence
            booster but shouldn't be overused. I set comprehension questions for
            students. Some files are too long like the one about Memphis but others
            are divided up into different topics so they're shorter and easier
            e.g.the Galapagos report.

            > 2) Reading
            > 3) Speaking: The quiz page in GuardianUnlimited. A bit of pre-vocab
            > work
            required usually and have to be careful re content, sometimes obviously
            very oriented towards a Briton but some of the topics are pretty
            universal e.g are you overworked? (mind you, for a 11 yr old?) I
            remember seeing a quiz for teenagers, can't remember the exact topic.
            You have to hunt around for the quiz pages but they're there. Generates
            a good bit of conversation.

            Mary Foley

            Yahoo! Groups Links

            Yahoo! Groups Links

            Celebrating 50 years of academic excellence

            Bell Disclaimer: Please note that this email is sent subject to the terms
            and conditions specified on
            http://www.bell-centres.com/information/bellemail.htm

            Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Sophie and Yiannis
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 1, 2005
              Thank you very much for the selection of websites in the attachment, Tarana.
              It is very useful.

              Attachments are not allowed on the list but I will try to upload the file on
              our yahoogroups area, if it is OK with you. Then people can access it from
              there.

              Thanks again, Tarana
              Sophie

              > I am not sure why the WORD document attachment did not come through. I am
              > resending it to Kenny and Sophie as a CC of this email. I am also
              resending
              > it to the group.
              >
              > The URL I suggested for Gavin is: school.discovery.com
              >
              > Hope this works.
              > Best,
              > Tarana Patel
              > Computer Assisted Language Learning Coordinator
              > University of California, Riverside
              > 1200 University Avenue
              > Riverside, CA-92507
              > Ph: 951-827-4346 X5641
              > Eml: taranap@...

            • Tarana Patel

                > I am not sure why the WORD document attachment did not come through. I am
                > resending it to Kenny and Sophie as a CC of this email. I am also
                resending
                > it to the group.
                >
                > The URL I suggested for Gavin is: school.discovery.com
                >
                > Hope this works.
                > Best,
                > Tarana Patel
                > Computer Assisted Language Learning Coordinator
                > University of California, Riverside
                > 1200 University Avenue
                > Riverside, CA-92507
                > Ph: 951-827-4346 X5641
                > Eml: taranap@...

                Yahoo! Groups Links
              • Glenys Hanson
                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 3, 2005
                  Hello,
                  I have an annotated list of sites here
                  <http://cla.univ-fcomte.fr/english/sites/index_a.htm>
                  Cheers,
                  Glenys

                  Glenys Hanson, Teacher of English,
                  Centre de Lingustique Appliqueé, Université de Franche-Comté, France
                  glenys.hanson@..., <http://cla.univ-fcomte.fr/english/index_s.htm>
                • Ton Koenraad
                  Message 8 of 8 , Aug 4, 2005
                    Hello Glenys,
                    Thanks for your list.
                    I react to the disappointment expressed about the info at the
                    TalenQuest (LanguageQuest) site being in Dutch only.
                    For info in English you could consult
                    ongoing project on design criteria for FL-webquests.

                    your --- In IATEFLComputerSig@yahoogroups.com, Glenys Hanson