Learning objects in ELT

  • Phil Brabbs
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 28 7:42 AM
      Hi

      I'm currently doing a course in Flexible and online learning at the University of Southern Queensland and have just been reading about Learning Objects. I have done a Google search but not found much of interest about their use in ELT.

      Does anyone know of anywhere where learning objects are being used in ELT or of the location of any learning object collections which are of use in ELT?

      Phil

    • Michael Goethals
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 28 10:54 PM
        Dear Phil

        I have a vague memory there have presentations on this topic at
        EuroCALL and/or WorldCALL conferences before: try their websites
        (haven't got those on this computer here, though but google should
        help for that)

        best wishes

        Michael

        Quoting Phil Brabbs <brabbs@...>:
        > I'm currently doing a course in Flexible and online learning at the
        > University of Southern Queensland and have just been reading about
        > Learning Objects. I have done a Google search but not found much of
        > interest about their use in ELT.
        > Does anyone know of anywhere where learning objects are being used in
        > ELT or of the location of any learning object collections which are
        > of use in ELT?
      • Steve OSullivan
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 29 3:47 AM
          Hello Phil and all

          As ever with such terms, I think there is a variety of definitions for
          (reusable) 'learning objects', which can be the smallest element on a
          'page', to the whole integrated e-learning 'page'.

          An authoritative writer in this field is Wiley. See, for example,
          http://www.reusability.org/read/

          As for ELT, eLanguages at the Univ. of Southampton have samples of their
          version of integrated learning objects (whole page). See
          http://www.elanguages.ac.uk, select 'Try an activity'. These are samples
          taken from integrated online EAP courses.

          Middlesex Univ has collections of what might also be called learning objects
          (again, whole pages collated into 'modules'). See
          http://oasis.mdx.ac.uk/public/ELLS01/index.html.

          Steve

          > I'm currently doing a course in Flexible and online learning at the
          > University of Southern Queensland and have just been reading about
          > Learning Objects. I have done a Google search but not found much of
          > interest about their use in ELT.
          >
          > Does anyone know of anywhere where learning objects are being used in ELT
          > or of the location of any learning object collections which are of use in
          > ELT?
          >
          > Phil

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Rita Zeinstejer
          Message 4 of 4 , May 1, 2005
            Phil Brabbs wrote
            "Does anyone know of anywhere where learning objects are being used in ELT or of the location of any learning object collections which are of use in ELT?"

            Hi, Phil,

            I have looked in my faves, where I have found the links below. Hope they are of some help.

            http://www.learning-objects.net/index.php
            http://morty.uts.ohio-state.edu/learning_objects/index.html
            http://online.bcit.ca/sidebars/02november/inside-out-1.htm
            http://www.col.org/onlineseminar/learning.htm