Re: [IATEFLComputer Sig] problem with my blog

  • Mary Foley
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 24, 2005
      > Hi,
      >
      > Second thing to keep in mind is that your blog, that is all the posts and
      > content, is usually intact, but what presents it to the world is its
      > template, and if that gets messed up, what the world sees is sometimes a
      > blank page. In that case you can fix it by either restoring your backup
      > template (assuming you clicked the template tab and copy / pasted what you
      > find there to a notepad and saved it somewhere) or choosing another. If
      you
      > choose another you lose any changes you made to your original one, but at
      > least your blog is visible again.

      I hadn't made a back up! I did change to another template but I don't seem
      to have lost any content. Thank you for the reference to copy and pasting
      which I will do right now and which, of course, I should have done before.

      Didn't mean to 'pry' on the address of your blog, but usually we have to see
      > it to help you with the problem.

      It's a good exercise showing folk your work! Thank you.

      Mary
    • Vance Stevens
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 1, 2005
        Just to clarify ... it's the TEMPLATE of the blog you want. Use the
        'dashboard' (in Blogger) to find the Template tab. The template itself
        looks like a lot of complicated code (with some handy and easily tweaked
        rosebushes in amonst the forest of deadwood).

        Drag your mouse over the whole template to highlight it, and copy that.

        Then paste the template into a 'new' Notepad (or other text editor) and save
        it somewhere.

        You might be glad you did that, esp. if you've tweaked some of those
        rosebushes and don't want to lose your pretty flowers.

        If your blog ever becomes invisible after further tweaking to the template,
        you'll be able to copy the old one in place of the one that doesn't work,
        and your blog contents should 'reappear'.

        And don't forget to republish when you've messed with the template to
        activate the new changes (otherwise blogger thinks you're still 'working' on
        it)

        For details:
        http://www.homestead.com/prosites-vstevens/files/pi/computing2/blogwork/blog_template.htm

        Vance