BRITISH COUNCIL SEARCHENGLISH Update February 28th 2005

  • Nik Peachey
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 28, 2005
      Hope you find something of interest here.
      This is just a quick update to let you know about some new articles
      available through http://searchenglish.britishcouncil.org

      MUDS AND MOOS: COLLABORATIVE NARRATIVE PLAY AT WORK IN THE CLASSROOM
      By exploring the collaborative practice at work in MUDs and MOOs, students
      also participate in the collaborative nature of digital writing.

      LANGUAGE: THE 3D COMPUTER GAME
      For all the sites for language games , constructed languages , artificial
      languages, Klingon, palindrome collectors, machine translation jokery, slang
      rangers and the like now active on the web, has anyone tried to apply decent
      digital design (DDD) to the task of showing how plain old natural language
      works?

      CORPUS LINGUISTICS: WHAT IT IS AND HOW IT CAN BE APPLIED TO TEACHING
      Having heard a declaration that corpora will revolutionize language
      teaching, I became very curious to find out for myself what corpus studies
      have to offer the English language teacher and how feasible such an
      implementation would be.

      MOVING VOICES
      MovingVoices is a project that explores how the creation of original
      student-made digital videos can enrich teaching, learning, and cultural
      understanding.

      GLOBAL DIGITAL DIVIDE 'NARROWING'
      The "digital divide" between rich and poor nations is narrowing fast,
      according to a World Bank report.

      NEW TEACHER AND STUDENT ROLES IN THE TECHNOLOGY-SUPPORTED, LANGUAGE
      CLASSROOM
      The focus of this paper is a challenging analysis of how the roles of
      teachers and students in different classroom settings are altered as a
      result of computer-based technologies.

      INCREASING VISUAL LITERACY SKILLS WITH DIGITAL IMAGERY
      Visual literacy is becoming more important from a curricular standpoint as
      society relies to a greater degree on images and visual communication
      strategies.

      http://searchenglish.britishcouncil.org
      I'd just like to stress that SearchEnglish is a portal which provides a news
      and information service. We don't write the articles we just try to provide
      you with up to date information about what is happening by linking /
      directing you to them.
      As ever your feedback and suggestions are welcome at
      Nik.Peachey@... or just go to
      http://searchenglish.britishcouncil.org and click on FEEDBACK

      Regards

      Nik Peachey