BRITISH COUNCIL SEARCHENGLISH Update January 20th 2005

  • Nik Peachey
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 20, 2005
      Apologies for cross posting. hope there is something of interest here.

      This is just a quick update to let you know about some new articles
      available through http://searchenglish.britishcouncil.org

      EMAIL GAMES
      Unglamorous, low-tech but highly functional communications technology like
      email, bulletin boards, and chat can be used as primary tools to promote and
      encourage collaborative interactive learning online.

      NEW SOCIAL INTERACTION TOOLS FOR ONLINE INSTRUCTION
      Social interaction allows the learner to reflect and reconsider, get help
      and support, and participate in authentic problem solving

      COMPUTER GAMES, MOTIVATION, & GENDER IN EDUCATIONAL CONTEXTS
      The aim of this project is to contribute towards a better understanding of
      the motivating pleasures of computer games, in order that their pedagogic
      potentials can be more effectively exploited.

      CLASSROOM ACTIVITIES VIEWED FROM DIFFERENT PERSPECTIVES: LEARNERS' VOICE AND
      TEACHERS' VOICE
      The present study aimed at investigating learners' beliefs about different
      learning activities and the degree of discrepancy between learners'
      preferences and instructors' awareness of those preferences in foreign
      language learning.

      EDUCATIONAL MUVES: VIRTUAL LEARNING COMMUNITIES
      Creating and building your own Educational MUVE will allow a school or
      entire district to have an online polysynchronous presence. It allows
      students to build their own rooms, converse with others in a safe
      environment (guests may be monitored or excluded altogether), and
      collaborate.

      WELCOME TO CREATIVE WRITING WORLD
      Creative writing has always been an important part of our work at the
      British Council and this year we are running a number of creative writing
      projects, as well as workshops and writer's residencies, throughout the
      world.

      PREDICTIONS FOR 2005
      Where will e-learning take us in 2005? How will learning be impacted by the
      use of portable devices, blogs, and search engines? Will we better
      understand and have metrics for quality e-learning? Read on for predictions
      from some of the most thoughtful and opinionated people in the e-learning
      field.

      INTERNATIONAL REVIEW OF RESEARCH IN OPEN AND DISTANCE LEARNING
      This study was designed to evaluate the use of asynchronous discussion in
      distance education in terms of student perceptions of its value for learning
      and for affective support.

      http://searchenglish.britishcouncil.org
      I'd just like to stress that SearchEnglish is a portal which provides a news
      and information service. We don't write the articles we just try to provide
      you with up to date information about what is happening by linking /
      directing you to them.
      As ever your feedback and suggestions are welcome at
      Nik.Peachey@... or just go to
      http://searchenglish.britishcouncil.org and click on FEEDBACK

      Regards

      Nik Peachey