CALL and Course Management Systems

  • jimbedgar
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 7, 2005
      How effective are Course Management Systems in integrating CALL into
      online/blended learning environments? What do you think is the most
      effective CMS for use with CALL? What is the least effective? What
      are the pedagogical benefits and/or drawbacks of using particular
      CMSs in the implementation of CALL?

      I would like to hear about your experiences (good or bad) or
      available research in the delivery of CALL through specific Course
      Management Systems, such as WebCT, Moodle, etc. I am especially
      interested in pedagogical aspects of delivery - not the
      administrative benefits - using a CMS.

      Thanks, in advance, for sharing your insights.

      Jim Edgar
      Dubai Men's College
    • Maria Jordano
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 8, 2005
        Too wide questions... but I will try to summerize..

        How effective are Course Management Systems in
        integrating CALL into online/blended learning
        environments?

        - Well, it depends.... the golden rule, as you may
        know: Never open questions when building quizzes and
        similar. Use this questions for setting up
        debates...The rest depends on the experience os the
        instructor when designing and moderating the course
        and his/her dedication and knowledge...

        What do you think is the most effective CMS for use
        with CALL?

        Use of well moderated forums and chats. Interactive
        quizzes, links...

        What is the least effective?

        Open questions in quizzes

        What are the pedagogical benefits and/or drawbacks of
        using particular CMSs in the implementation of CALL?
        It all depends on the teacher and student.... It takes
        you hours to set up a good course, but If it is good
        both of you, teacher an student will learn more than
        in the traditional way. More open. More flexible.
        Constructive knowledge (if you know how to encourage
        students...)

        I would like to hear about your experiences (good or
        bad) or
        available research in the delivery of CALL through
        specific Course
        Management Systems, such as WebCT, Moodle, etc. I am
        especially
        interested in pedagogical aspects of delivery - not
        the
        administrative benefits - using a CMS.

        Once running, it is very easy to add more and more
        things and model everything as you need it.You could
        chage some things and create a higher or lower
        course.... Student centred learning...

        Thanks, in advance, for sharing your insights.

        I would be talking and takling abot this because I
        love this topic, but I have to go now...

        See you!

        Jim Edgar
        Dubai Men's College

        =====
        www.mariajordano.com

        http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
      • vstevens
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 8, 2005
          I keep a page on this topic: http://www.vancestevens.com/authorng.htm

          My answer would be Moodle and the reason has to do with the balance between
          economics of CALL which usually constrains the amount of money there is to
          support it and the excellent features of Moodle which are open source and
          good enough, and in many ways particularly suited to language learning
          (integration with Hot Potatoes for example).

          Cheers,

          Vance

          > How effective are Course Management Systems in integrating CALL into
          > online/blended learning environments? What do you think is the most
          > effective CMS for use with CALL? What is the least effective? What
          > are the pedagogical benefits and/or drawbacks of using particular
          > CMSs in the implementation of CALL?
          >
          > I would like to hear about your experiences (good or bad) or
          > available research in the delivery of CALL through specific Course
          > Management Systems, such as WebCT, Moodle, etc. I am especially
          > interested in pedagogical aspects of delivery - not the
          > administrative benefits - using a CMS.
          >
          > Thanks, in advance, for sharing your insights.
          >
          > Jim Edgar
          > Dubai Men's College
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Mary Papayianni
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 10, 2005
            Happy New Year to all!

            Anyone to recommend a doctoral degree in Online/Open/Flexible Learning /
            Instructional Design / Course/Program Development or anything along these
            lines? There seem to be several MA/MSc options in the UK, but not a PhD as
            such.

            Many thanks in advance,

            Mary Papayianni
            College of Tourism & Hotel Management
            Cyprus
          • sandehalynch
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 10, 2005
              Very effective, if your requirements are precise and the software
              fits. However, I doubt you'd find a one-size-fits-all and much
              depends on what you include under CALL - a broad term at best.

              Two you might want to try are Nicenet http://www.nicenet.org/ and
              EduCampus http://www.brownstone.net/. They offer very different
              services, one of which might be the kind of thing you can use where
              you are.

              The pedagogic aspects are key, of course, but the admin aspects can
              have far-reaching positive effects if you allow them to.

              Best

              Sandeha

              --- In IATEFLComputerSig@yahoogroups.com, "jimbedgar"