RE: [IATEFLComputer Sig] Copyright free texts?

  • Lorraine Williams
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 31, 2000
      I'm sure there are many other sources, but the first that comes to mind is
      the Gutenberg Project. Full text documents including literature and
      historical documents can be accessed for free at:
      http://www.promo.net/pg/

      There is also a site that offers the complete works of William Shakespeare
      at:
      http://tech-two.mit.edu/Shakespeare/works.html

      Lori
      Lorraine Williams
      Language Technology Coordinator
      Saint Michael's College
      Box L / 1 Winooski Park
      Colchester, VT 05439
      (802) 654-2475
      lwilliams@...

      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 31, 2000
        Here is another one somewhat like Project Gutenberg, only commercial, with
        full text world literature and reference materials:
        http://www.bibliomania.com

      • fiona@flo-joe.co.uk
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 1, 2000
          >does anyone know of www sources for copyright free texts - books /
          >stories / articles etc that can therefore be authentic materials to
          >be used in EFL materials production?
          >
          >Thanks Paul

          I don't know of any such sources on the web, but wish there were. Our website is heavily dependent on short, authentic-ish texts for writing exam practice material. The approach we have used is to contact each website individually as and when we have found something worth using. This is painstaking, I know, but the success rate is higher than you might expect (18 permissions given out of 21 requests, and 2 of the 'refusals' just didn't reply).

          Personal home pages ('ego' sites) are often a good source of interesting and unusual content. The other advantages these sites have over commercial organisations is that a) you stand a much better chance of contacting the author directly, and hence b) you get a faster reply, and c) they don't demand huge sums of money. I've found it helps if you can be absolutely explicit about what you want the material for and what you intend to do with it. If you need to alter the text significantly (for length, infelicities of style, lexical difficulty, etc) then it would be a courtesy to let the author know what you have done to their text. Surprisingly, the majority haven't been bothered about us linking back to their site, but you can offer to include a link as a carrot.

          Needless to say it's important to log all requests, sources in their original AND new format and permissions granted - just in case!

          Good luck.

          Fiona Joseph
          fiona@...