RE: [IATEFLComputer Sig] IMPORTANT: Newsletter and SIG Name

  • Gavin Dudeney
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 25, 2004
      Tony,

      I take your point, but I first raised the issue of
      a name change not as a desperation measure in
      terms of re-branding but as an attempt to make the
      SIG name less stuffy and to 'broaden the church'
      of members to people who might have felt excluded
      or left cold by the term 'computers'.

      It strikes me that we're dealing less with
      computers these days, and more with networked
      technologies, whiteboards, instructional design,
      Virtual Learning Environments, etc. - these are
      often employed at a basic user level, with no
      overt regard to the fact that they are computer
      based, and I wanted our name to reflect the fact
      that 'computers' per se play a small role in what
      we do - it's more the overarching umbrella of
      technology which is important.

      My hope is that the SIG will grow as a result.
      We're working hard on the committee to put the SIG
      back on track - three newsletters this year (the
      first time in four years) and three events next
      year (the first time in five years), and I feel a
      name change not only reflects the change in the
      focus of technology use in our profession, but
      also the rebirth of the SIG as a leading player in
      IATEFL.

      Hope this makes sense...

      Regards

      Gavin
      IATEFL Computer SIG Coordinator and Acting
      Newsletter Editor

      Gavin Dudeney - Project Director
      The Consultants-E, S.L.L.

      gavin.dudeney@...
      http://www.theconsultants-e.com

      Tel: ( + 34 ) 93 427 4240

      CONFIDENTIALITY AND DISCLAIMER NOTICE

      This email and any attachments are private and
      confidential. It is
      intended for the recipient only. If you are not
      the intended recipient,
      any use, disclosure, distribution, printing or
      copying of this email is
      unauthorised. You may not read, use or take any
      action in reliance on
      it. If you have received this email in error
      please notify the sender
      immediately by replying to this email and
      permanently delete the
      email from your computer.

      The contents of any attachments to this e-mail may
      contain software
      viruses which could damage your own computer
      system. While we have
      taken every reasonable precaution to minimise this
      risk, we cannot
      accept liability for any damage which you sustain
      as a result of software
      viruses. You should carry out your own virus
      checks before opening any
      attachments.

      Newsletter and SIG Name

      > Dear Gavin,
      > Oh dear, I have been late as usual in putting in
      my ha'p'orth.
      > For what it's worth, since 1987 or thereabouts
      the admirable
      > CALL Austria Association has been putting out
      monthly
      > newsletters in various formats and qualities
      reporting
      > amongst other things on CALL practice in
      Austrian language
      > classrooms. The title has evolved over the years
      from 'Call
      > Austria', to 'TELL and CALL' to 'Tell and CAL'
      and ending up
      > in full colour as 'TEL and CAL'. Now it has
      folded citing
      > lack of support at government and teacher level.

      > We can change our name as much as we like, but
      is this the

      Date: 19/11/2004

      ---
      Date: 19/11/2004