Research Enquiry

  • Gavin Dudeney
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 29, 2004
      [ posted by Gavin Dudeney on behalf of Andrew Drage ]

      Hi,

      My name is Andrew Drage and I am a student at the University of
      Utah, USA currently conducting research on ESL computer technology.
      I am wondering if you could answer a few short questions for me.

      First off, what is your knowledge of the English Language Learning
      market? Are there any major companies that provide ESL Software? If
      so, who are they and what is your opinion on each?

      How useful / helpful is Computer-Based Training?

      What are the advantages / disadvantages to Computer-Based Training?

      Any other thoughts on this subject would be very helpful.

      Thank you so much for your time,

      Andrew Drage
      andrew@...
    • Geoff Taylor
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 2, 2004
        Dear Andrew

        on 30/9/04 11:55 pm, IATEFLComputerSig@yahoogroups.com at
        IATEFLComputerSig@yahoogroups.com wrote:

        > First off, what is your knowledge of the English Language Learning
        > market? Are there any major companies that provide ESL Software? If
        > so, who are they and what is your opinion on each?

        The IATEFL Computer SIG links page on Software Companies might help:
        http://www.iateflcompsig.org.uk/links15.htm

        > How useful / helpful is Computer-Based Training?
        > What are the advantages / disadvantages to Computer-Based Training?

        This online course might provide some answers:
        ICT4LT Module 1.4: Introduction to Computer Assisted Language Learning
        (CALL)
        http://www.ict4lt.org/en/en_mod1-4.htm

        Good luck!

        --
        Geoff Taylor
        CALL Coordinator, St Clare's, Oxford, UK