DB query

  • Martin Eayrs
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 10, 2004
      Here's an interesting problem - I offer it as a challenge although
      the results will be useful to me and maybe others.

      I need to set up a database on a shared server. At our university we
      have common servers the whole Dept. can access and I want any user
      with access to the server to be able to read/write/print to/from
      these files from anywhere they happen to be as long as they have the
      right software on their own machine.

      The problem.

      1. Access requires all users to have the same version of
      MS Office. Currently different users have different
      versions.

      2. In any case, some potential users work with Apple Mac and some
      with PCs.

      3. There is no Mac version of Access and I have Mr Gates' assurance
      that there will never be one.

      4. The university does not currently support Filemaker Pro.

      5. For various reasons (e.g. the need to avoid heavy and complex
      programming, and dependence on truculent support staff) I don't
      want to do this as a web-based data base. I just want to keep a
      database file on a server so that different people can access it
      (and modify/print it) from different platforms. It doesn't matter
      if access is limited to one user at a time as there will only
      ever be a very small number of users.

      Now, I can try to persuade the Uni to buy site licenses for FM Pro
      for both Mac and PC. This WILL work as a solution but, and this is
      the question, is there a cheaper solution ? Is there another
      (hopefully cheaper) cross-platform database option that will allow
      multiple access from different platforms ?

      I can't think of anything, but maybe someone out there ......

      Any suggestions gratefully received

      Martin

      --
      Reply to: Martin Eayrs
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 10, 2004
        Martin asks about a shared database server.

        Wouldn't mysql and PHP do the trick? It can be set up on any machine that can act as a
        server (WIN, Linux, Mac). MyPHPadmin provides a fairly elegant interface from extracting
        data from the database via a web browser.

        Cheers,
        Tom Robb,
        Kyoto, Japan