964BRITISH COUNCIL SEARCHENGLISH NEWS

  • Nik Peachey
    Apr 21, 2004
      Apologies for cross posting

      BRITISH COUNCIL SEARCHENGLISH NEWS
      http://searchenglish.britishcouncil.org

      Welcome to the second April edition of the British Council's SearchEnglish
      newsletter. In this edition we have news on:
      1. TOP STORIES
      2. DISCUSSION GROUPS FOR YOUR ELT EVENT
      3. IATEFL

      1. TOP STORIES On http://searchenglish.britishcouncil.org
      AFRICA ANIMATED! - UNESCO LAUNCHES INITIATIVE FOR CARTOONS PRODUCTION
      "Despite efforts by regional broadcasters and the audio-visual community in
      Africa, children's programmes in Africa and in particular computer-animated
      cartoons are mostly imported from abroad. In order to address this lack of
      local content production, UNESCO launched Africa Animated!"

      A GOVERNMENT CROSSING THE DIGITAL DIVIDE TO PROMOTE ICT FOR ADULT LEARNERS
      "Appropriate training and education are important in today's global market.
      Many organisations make the mistake of not training their employees
      adequately in the utilisation of ICT or in the use of internal information
      systems. "

      AN INTRO TO ONLINE TRAINING GAMES
      "As members of the Games Generation enter the workforce, trainers must
      realise that existing lecture-based training is no longer the only effective
      method."

      WHAT'S THE BLOGGING POINT?
      "Almost every examples I have seen of serious student blogging, took place
      because running the weblog was more or less a requirement in the course.
      Students that start (and keep) a weblog without "formal requirement" are
      quite rare and only a fraction really blog in relation to their learning
      goals at all."

      OF POEMS, THE CHANGING ROLE OF A TEACHER, AND CHILDREN'S BOOKS...
      "Did you know that learning poems can be fun. Or that an Indian school can
      get some financial support to start a consumer club, and details are at the
      website fcamin.nic.in/ConsumerClub.htm. That nearly 850,000 children in the
      US are undergoing home-schooling?"

      Read more at: http://searchenglish.britishcouncil.org

      These are just some of the articles that have appeared on the site within
      the last two days. We also welcome your help in directing us towards useful
      articles so if you see something you think others should see then drop us a
      line at: search.admin@...

      2. DISCUSSION GROUPS FOR YOUR ELT EVENT.
      Remember that we can support your ELT event by providing, free of charge,
      the use of one of our discussion groups. This can help you add an
      international flavour to your event and provide the opportunity for remote
      participation. Contact search.admin@... for more information.
      We can also offer technical and online training support as well as a range
      of training materials and advice on how to make online participation work
      for you.

      3. IATEFL
      Lastly, many thanks to all those who dropped by the British Council stand
      for a chat last week at the IATEFL conference in Liverpool. It was good to
      meet so many people and so many SearchEnglish users. If you couldn't get to
      IATEFL and would like to know what it was all about you can visit the
      teaching English blog at
      http://www.teachingenglish.org.uk/iatefl2004/iatefl2004.shtml and read
      reports on a wide range of the presentations and workshops.

      As ever your feedback and suggestions are welcome at
      search.admin@... or just go to
      http://searchenglish.britishcouncil.org and click on FEEDBACK

      To subscribe to / unsubscribe from this newsletter visit
      http://searchenglish.britishcouncil.org or click on this link:
      http://survey.britishcouncil.org/wi/p4402367/i.asp

      Regards

      Nik Peachey