3004Re: Another question about mobile learning

  • Gary
    Feb 3, 2012
      Hi Nik

      > I saw this article recently on THE which might hep:
      > Launching an iPad 1-to-1 Program: A Primer
      > http://thejournal.com/articles/2011/12/14/launching-an-ipad-1-to-1-program-a-primer.aspx

      It's a useful article for all sorts of issues, but doesn't really cover what I'm looking for.

      > But I think this concept of shared ownership of iPads and how to allow access for multiple users is still one of the issues Apple has to deal with.

      I can't imagine that this is an issue that is anywhere near the top of the list, if on the list at all, considering how much money Apple are making currently from the iPad.

      > I think one of the most practical solutions at the moment is using web based applicatios that run on html 5 as it's cross platform compatible rather than using specific apps that need to be downloaded. This rules out a lot of useful stuff though.

      This is a useful recommendation if you are using portable devices of different flavours and the app only exists on one type. I don't get the impression that this route will last for long and HTML5 leads ultimately to app development anyway, as I understand it.

      I can solve the issue for colleagues at work, but it does involve turning off various devices while the tablets are bing used by the students.

      Maybe someone enterprising will see the opportunity for app development :-)

      Cheers
      Gary

      > This is more of a technical query about protecting data on tablets. We are running teacher education sessions at Manchester using tablets of various flavours, but mostly iPads and Samsung. These are used by individual staff members and then brought together when we have sessions. We are trying to find ways of hiding/ locking apps, passwording email or documents, so they don't have to be taken off each time we use them with a group.
      >
      > Anyone got any practice to share on this?

    • Show all 6 messages in this topic