Motivation Concepts Table

  • hsophiad
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 21, 2006

      University of Phoenix Material

      Motivation Concepts Table

      Use the following table to complete the Motivation Concept Table assignment for Week One.  You are encouraged to modify table formatting to suit your needs.  Please consult with course instructor for additional assignment specifications.  The completed table will serve as a resource for the remainder of the course.

      Theory Name

      Major Theorist(s)

      Time Period Created

      Key Theory Concepts

      WILL:

      DESCARTES

      1637

      The will motivates all action.

      The will initiated and directed action.

      RAND

      1964

      DECIDING WHETHER TO ACT OR NOT

      RUCKMICK

      1936

      STRIVING-CREATING IMPLUSES TO ACT

      RESISTING- SELF-DENIAL OR RESISTING TEMPTATION

      INSTINCT

      DARWIN

      1859-1872

      BEHAIVOR UNLEARNED, AUTOMATED, AND MECHANISTIC – BIOLOGICAL URGES, IMPULSES, & APPETITITES

      DRIVE

      WOODWORTH

      1918

      FUNCTION OF BEHAVIOR WAS TO SERVE BODILY NEEDS

      FREUD

      1915

      ALL BEHAVIOR WAS MOTIVATED TO SERVE THE SATISFACTION OF NEEDS

      DRIVE – INTERNAL STIMULATION VIA BODILY DISTURBANCES & EXTERNAL VIA QUALITY OF INCENTIVE

      CLARK HULL

      1943, 1952

      DRIVE HAD A PURELY PHYSIOLOGICAL BASIS AND BODILY NEED WAS THE ULTIMATE BASIS OF MOTIVATION, AND COULD BE PREDICTED BEFORE IT OCCURRED

      MOTIVATION THEORY

      SUPPORTIVE REFERENCE CITATION

      Achievement motivation

      Atkinson (1964)

      Arousal

      Berlyne (1967)

      Attribution

      Weiner (1986)

      Cognitive dissonance

      Harmon-Jones and Mills (1999)

      Cognitive evaluation

      Deci and Ryan (1985a

      Differential emotions

      Izard (1991)

      Drive

      Bolles (1975)

      Dynamics of action

      Atkinson and Birch (1978)

      Effectance motivation

      Harter (1981)

      Ego development

      Loevinger (1976)

      Expectancy × value

      Vroom (1964)

      Facial feedback hypothesis

      Laird (1974)

      Flow

      Csikszentmihalyi (1997)

      Goal setting

      Locke and Latham (1990)

      Learned helplessness

      Peterson, Maier, and Seligman (1993)

      Opponent process

      Solomon (1980)

      Positive affect

      Isen (1987)

      Psychodynamics

      Westin (1997)

      Reactance

      Wortman and Brehm (1975)

      Self-actualization

      Rogers (1959)

      Self-determination

      Rigby, Deci, Patrick, and Ryan (1992)

      Self-efficacy

      Bandura (1997)

      Sensation seeking

      Zuckerman (1994)

      Stress and coping

      Lazarus (1991a)

      NINE THEMES RUN THROUGH MOTIVATION STUDY:

      1. MOTIVATION BENEFITS ADAPTATION

      2. MOTIVES AFFECT BEHAVIOR BY DIRECTING ATTENTION

      3. MOTIVE STRENGTHS VARY OVER TIME AND INFLUENCE THE STREAM

         OF BEHAVIOR

      4. MOTIVATION INCLUDES BOTH APPROACH AND AVOIDANCE TENDENCIES

      5. MOTIVATION STUDY REVEALS THE CONTENTS OF HUMAN NATURE

      6. MOTIVATION VARIES NOT ONLY IN INTENSITY BUT ALSO IN ITS TYPE

      7. WE ARE NOT ALWAYS CONSCIOUSLY AWARE OF THE MOTIVATIONAL BASIS

         OF OUR BEHAVIOR

      8. MOTVATIONAL PRINCIPALS CAN BE APPLIED

      9. THERE IS NOTHING SO PRACTICAL AS A GOOD THEORY

    • ed471258
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 22, 2006
        Hi Heather,

        I think I will be join you guys again.

        This new compleate table came out of the text?

        Edison