Re: combining children question

  • my3pixies75
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 27, 2012
      I have the same type of question, so I'm jumping in!!!

      We are planning to start POE next year, when my girls are starting 4th and 2nd grades. My 4th grader is advanced, but my 2nd grader isn't a stong reader yet. I believe I can easily adapt POE for her, but I'm concerned that the jump from there into POS might be a bit much for her. Of course, by the end of 2nd grade when she finishes POE, she may be reading better and ready for POS (adapted to 3rd grade level). I worry about starting something that she isn't ready for and rushing her into the material, but I don't want to be teaching the two levels concurrently with two different children. The idea is to simplify, right!! :)

      Anxious to hear any feedback from homschoolers bridging this age gap!

      Thank you!
      Laura

      --- In LearningSeries@yahoogroups.com, "Renee" <corderogang@...> wrote:

> [...]
      > >
      > > My children are three years apart. During our homeschooling days, it seemed to naturally work out to teach my son (the older) and adjust the content for my younger daughter. She always wanted to participate in what he was doing, so for Science, History, Geography and Bible we all worked together. When she was starting to read I taught her phonics separately, but as she became a reader she joined in more and more. Same with writing. As her abilities increased, she did more. Math, of course, was separate in most ways since they were completely different math thinkers.
      > >
      > > As I talk with moms now, I suggest that you teach the older and bring the youngers along. I was always amazed at what my daughter understood and learned. Whatever was above her level, she just didn't connect with. What enabled her to stay with us and enjoy it were the read alouds and the activities. Since we used a note booking approach, her notebook reflected what she was learning and my son's written work was more extensive. She loved doing the notebook part, often adding drawings, and glitter whenever possible. : )
      > >
      > > With all that background, let me say that I am encouraging people to fit the teaching to the older, including the youngers in read alouds and activities and add lap booking. We hope to continue to build the series with more support materials for the youngers as well.
      > >
      > > Also, the World History Series for the middle school students will have a more independent emphasis. When your older children reach that level, it would be easy to go back to the POE, POS, POP sequence with younger children. Since they will have some of the content, that would be the time to teach the more in-depth skills of writing, analyzing the literature and researching that are included.
      > >
      > > I know this is a long post, but I hope it helps. I say that philosophy is an anchor that keeps you steady when you have to make adjustments. Hopefully with the idea that the youngers benefit from participating with parents and brothers and sisters, much is gleaned naturally. Skill learning can always be added.
      > >
      > > Please continue to ask questions and share your thoughts.
      > >
      > > Blessings,
      > > Debbie Strayer
      > >
      > > --- In LearningSeries@yahoogroups.com, "Danielle" <chetandani2@> wrote:
      > > >

      > > > Renee, I posted a similar question a few weeks ago, but haven't gotten any replies yet. I, too, will be starting POE next year with a 1st grader in tow and while I know I can adapt to include him, I'm not sure if I should, or should wait until he's in 2nd or 3rd and start him with POE or adapt whatever level my older son is on and then cycle back to POE for my younger son (so he'd be doing POP as a 3rd grader and then POE in 4th?) I still wonder about this, so I'm tagging along to your post in case anybody has some thoughts for us!
      > > > Let me know if you come up with any solutions :)

    • Christy Slattman
      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 27, 2012
        Hi Ladies,

        I just wanted to put my 2 cents in on this subject. I hope I can be of some help.

        I have a 1st and 4th grader (pre-ker too, but irrelevant here).  We used POE last year with then a K and 3rd grader.  My Ker was really engaged.  He loved to sit in while we read, did science, geography, etc.  The language arts was over his head, of course, but he sat in (as much as a 5 year old boy can) on much of the rest.

        We are using POS this year (kids now 1st and 4th).  Much of the info is over my 1st graders head.  I love it for my 4th grader, but my 1st grader is really not participating.  Some of the material is a bit advanced even for my 4th grader, although there is plenty of opportunity to curtail it to her needs.

        It is an amazing curriculum, and I would highly recommend it! I just wanted to share in hopes that I might offer some help on where you should start.

        Blessings,
        Christy
      • mzfauziebear
        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 14 2:02 PM
          Debbie, I am wondering about the World History Series you mentioned. I looked at the website, but didn't see it. Our family is going to start with POE next school year, but I am trying to put together a bit of a roadmap so I can have some sort of game plan.
          Thanks!
          --- In LearningSeries@yahoogroups.com, "Debbie Strayer" <debbie@...> wrote:

          > Also, the World History Series for the middle school students will have a more independent emphasis. When your older children reach that level, it would be easy to go back to the POE, POS, POP sequence with younger children. Since they will have some of the content, that would be the time to teach the more in-depth skills of writing, analyzing the literature and researching that are included.
        • Debbie Strayer
          Message 4 of 15 , Apr 24 8:44 AM
            Hi there -
            Don't know if your question was answered or not, but I thought I would just revisit it. The first level of the World History will be available in the fall of 2013. It will cover earliest Israel, Egypt, Greece and Rome. The second level, available the following fall, will cover the Middle Ages, Reformation and Renaissance.

            We will be posting a new flow chart soon that gives some suggested teaching plans for multiple ages.

            Hope this helps!
            Blessings,
            Debbie Strayer

            --- In LearningSeries@yahoogroups.com, "mzfauziebear" <mzfauziebear@...> wrote:

            > Debbie, I am wondering about the World History Series you mentioned. I looked at the website, but didn't see it. Our family is going to start with POE next school year, but I am trying to put together a bit of a roadmap so I can have some sort of game plan.
            > Thanks!
            > --- In LearningSeries@yahoogroups.com, "Debbie Strayer" <debbie@> wrote:
            >
            > > Also, the World History Series for the middle school students will have a more independent emphasis. When your older children reach that level, it would be easy to go back to the POE, POS, POP sequence with younger children. Since they will have some of the content, that would be the time to teach the more in-depth skills of writing, analyzing the literature and researching that are included.

          • hgunraj
            Message 5 of 15 , Apr 24 11:55 AM
              Debbie,

              I would take this to mean that the next book coming out will be in 2013 - that there is not a book in between. Is that correct? Do you anticipate the World History books to be middle school (say 6th - 8th) or at the high school level?

              Thanks

              Heather

              Message 6 of 15 , Apr 24 12:22 PM
                Hi Heather -

                There will not be a new book coming out before then. Are you using Trail Guide right now? What book are you in?

                Yes, the World History will target 6th - 8th grade. The perfect time to introduce/reinforce worldview concepts, especially after a thorough founding in American history.

                Blessings,
                Debbie Strayer

                --- In LearningSeries@yahoogroups.com, "hgunraj" <hgunraj@...> wrote:

                > Debbie,
                >
                > I would take this to mean that the next book coming out will be in 2013 - that there is not a book in between. Is that correct? Do you anticipate the World History books to be middle school (say 6th - 8th) or at the high school level?
                >
                > Thanks
                >
                > Heather
                >
                > --- In LearningSeries@yahoogroups.com, "Debbie Strayer" <debbie@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Hi there -
                > > Don't know if your question was answered or not, but I thought I would just revisit it. The first level of the World History will be available in the fall of 2013. It will cover earliest Israel, Egypt, Greece and Rome. The second level, available the following fall, will cover the Middle Ages, Reformation and Renaissance.
                > >
                > > We will be posting a new flow chart soon that gives some suggested teaching plans for multiple ages.
                > >
                > > Hope this helps!
                > > Blessings,
                > > Debbie Strayer
                > >
                > > --- In LearningSeries@yahoogroups.com, "mzfauziebear" <mzfauziebear@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > Debbie, I am wondering about the World History Series you mentioned. I looked at the website, but didn't see it. Our family is going to start with POE next school year, but I am trying to put together a bit of a roadmap so I can have some sort of game plan.
                > > > Thanks!

              • Heather Gunraj
                Message 7 of 15 , Apr 24 12:35 PM
                  Well I'm looking at POS for my youngest next year but my question was related to my middle daughter. She is going to be in 9th grade when that first World History book comes out and ready to study Ancient history. I've had one go thought high school before her but the curriculum I used will not fit this child as well. I was hoping your world history would be for high schooler. Oh well. I'll just look forward to it with my youngest.

                  Thanks
                  Heather

                  On Apr 24, 2012, at 3:22 PM, "Debbie Strayer" <debbie@...> wrote:

                  Hi Heather -

                  There will not be a new book coming out before then. Are you using Trail Guide right now? What book are you in?

                  Yes, the World History will target 6th - 8th grade. The perfect time to introduce/reinforce worldview concepts, especially after a thorough founding in American history.

                  Blessings,
                  Debbie Strayer

                  --- In LearningSeries@yahoogroups.com, "hgunraj" <hgunraj@...> wrote:

                  > Debbie,
                  >
                  > I would take this to mean that the next book coming out will be in 2013 - that there is not a book in between. Is that correct? Do you anticipate the World History books to be middle school (say 6th - 8th) or at the high school level?
                  >
                  > Thanks
                  >
                  > Heather
                  >
                  > --- In LearningSeries@yahoogroups.com, "Debbie Strayer" <debbie@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Hi there -
                  > > Don't know if your question was answered or not, but I thought I would just revisit it. The first level of the World History will be available in the fall of 2013. It will cover earliest Israel, Egypt, Greece and Rome. The second level, available the following fall, will cover the Middle Ages, Reformation and Renaissance.
                  > >
                  > > We will be posting a new flow chart soon that gives some suggested teaching plans for multiple ages.
                  > >
                  > > Hope this helps!
                  > > Blessings,
                  > > Debbie Strayer
                  > >
                  > > --- In LearningSeries@yahoogroups.com, "mzfauziebear" <mzfauziebear@> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > Debbie, I am wondering about the World History Series you mentioned. I looked at the website, but didn't see it. Our family is going to start with POE next school year, but I am trying to put together a bit of a roadmap so I can have some sort of game plan.
                  > > > Thanks!

                  =
                • Debbie Strayer
                  Message 8 of 15 , Apr 24 3:28 PM
                    Hi Heather -

                    As is our custom, the books we write usually have extensions that include higher grades. The same will be true for the World History. It may yet work out for your daughter. Stay tuned to what we come out with in the next year.

                    Blessings,
                    Debbie Strayer