your opinion on a latin title

  • Mustafa Cenap Aydin
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 4, 2009
      Dear friends,
      I m starting a new series of meeting at a cultural association. The meetings will have an author reading his own work. I tried to find out a Latin name. A short and easy one should still make sense of the meeting. Having discussed with a friend of mine, we have come up with two proposals:
      IPSE LEGE or PROPRIAM LEGE
      I have departed from  the famous sentence "nosce te ipsum". Well, I kindly ask your great opinions and reactions to both proposals above. If you have another suggestion, I appreciate it also so much.
      Cenap

    • John Mc Alpine
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 4, 2009
        Hello Cenap:

        Here's my two-cents' worth.  "Ipse lege" would  mean in English "Read (it) yourself", while "Propriam lege" is "Read your own".  I don't know what feminine noun your 'propriam' agrees with. but I would have made it 'proprium'., to agree with 'opus', 'work' i.e., "Lege proprium opus", i.e., "Read your own  work."

        There must be many other possibilities. One, off the top of my head, is "Florilegium Scriptorum/Auctorum/Operum", where 'florilegium' means .something like 'bouquet (of flowers)' or 'pick': the '-legium' part (see 'collegium', for example) meaning more 'selection'  than 'reading', though the second meaning 'reading' is derived from the first anyway {so it's something of a pun}.

        I hope this helps.

        Regards,

        Joannes

        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 4, 2009
          Salve Cenap,

          How about "Recitat Auctor" or "Auctor Ipse"? I think you need to use "recitare" rather than "legere" for reading aloud to an audience.

          Sallia.

          --- In LatinChat-L@yahoogroups.com, Mustafa Cenap Aydin <mcasoc@...> wrote:

          > Dear friends,
          > I m starting a new series of meeting at a cultural association. The meetings will have an author reading his own work. I tried to find out a Latin name. A short and easy one should still make sense of the meeting. Having discussed with a friend of mine, we have come up with two proposals:
          > IPSE LEGE or PROPRIAM LEGE
          > I have departed from  the famous sentence "nosce te ipsum". Well, I kindly ask your great opinions and reactions to both proposals above. If you have another suggestion, I appreciate it also so much.
          > Cenap

        • gerardo priori
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 4, 2009
            how about "Scriptores opera propria legent"  [Writers read their own stuff]  or "Scriptores opera propria legentes"  [reading their own works].  Pax vobiscum...junkdriver

            I m starting a new series of meeting at a cultural association. The meetings will have an author reading his own work. I tried to find out a Latin name. A short and easy one should still make sense of the meeting. Having discussed with a friend of mine, we have come up with two proposals:
            IPSE LEGE or PROPRIAM LEGE
            I have departed from  the famous sentence "nosce te ipsum". Well, I kindly ask your great opinions and reactions to both proposals above. If you have another suggestion, I appreciate it also so much.
            Cenap

          • cn_tullius_grandis
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 4, 2009
              May I suggest "propria voce" (in his/her own voice)?

              Cura ut valeas.

              --- In LatinChat-L@yahoogroups.com, Mustafa Cenap Aydin <mcasoc@...> wrote:

              > Dear friends,
              > I m starting a new series of meeting at a cultural association. The meetings will have an author reading his own work. I tried to find out a Latin name. A short and easy one should still make sense of the meeting. Having discussed with a friend of mine, we have come up with two proposals:
              > IPSE LEGE or PROPRIAM LEGE
              > I have departed from  the famous sentence "nosce te ipsum". Well, I kindly ask your great opinions and reactions to both proposals above. If you have another suggestion, I appreciate it also so much.
              > Cenap

            • Mikael Aldridge
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 4, 2009
                Nice piece of copy, that.

                May I suggest "propria voce" (in his/her own voice)?

                Cura ut valeas.

                --- In LatinChat-L@yahoogroups.com, Mustafa Cenap Aydin <mcasoc@...> wrote:

                > Dear friends,
                > I m starting a new series of meeting at a cultural association. The
                meetings will have an author reading his own work. I tried to find out a
                Latin name. A short and easy one should still make sense of the meeting.
                Having discussed with a friend of mine, we have come up with two proposals:
                > IPSE LEGE or PROPRIAM LEGE
                > I have departed from  the famous sentence "nosce te ipsum". Well, I kindly
                ask your great opinions and reactions to both proposals above. If you have
                another suggestion, I appreciate it also so much.
                > Cenap

              • Felipe Castillo Robles
                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 4, 2009
                  Yo tambi�n opino que la mejor opci�n es "propria voce". La frase es corta, euf�nica y elegante. Tambi�n propongo: "Opus et auctor".

                  Saludos desde Tenamaxtl�n, Jalisco, M�xico.

                  Y si puedes, visita mi blog en: http://medicodecuerpoyalma.blogspot.com

                  Felipe Castillo Robles

                  To: LatinChat-L@yahoogroups.com
                  From: mikael@...
                  Date: Thu, 5 Nov 2009 11:34:28 +1300
                  Subject: RE: [LatinChat-L] Re: your opinion on a latin title

                  Nice piece of copy, that.

                  May I suggest "propria voce" (in his/her own voice)?

                  Cura ut valeas.

                  --- In LatinChat-L@yahoogroups.com, Mustafa Cenap Aydin <mcasoc@...> wrote:

                  > Dear friends,
                  > I m starting a new series of meeting at a cultural association. The
                  meetings will have an author reading his own work. I tried to find out a
                  Latin name. A short and easy one should still make sense of the meeting.
                  Having discussed with a friend of mine, we have come up with two proposals:
                  > IPSE LEGE or PROPRIAM LEGE
                  > I have departed from the famous sentence "nosce te ipsum". Well, I kindly
                  ask your great opinions and reactions to both proposals above. If you have
                  another suggestion, I appreciate it also so much.
                  > Cenap

                • gerardo priori
                  Message 8 of 8 , Nov 6, 2009
                    Mustafa: Looks like you have enuff choices. Quid eligebis?

                    To: LatinChat-L@yahoogroups.com