Participles and Ablative of gerund

  • Peter
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 23, 2008
      Can this sentence with a participle:

      "Tibi polliceor fore ut aliquid in dies (or cotidie) novi addiscens
      inveterascem (or senesceam)"

      be rewritten with the ablative of gerundive as:

      "Tibi polliceor fore ut aliquo in dies novi addiscendo
      inveterascem" ?

      I assume one has to use the fore ut construction since the inceptive
      verbs such as senescere and inveterascare don't have a future
      participle.

      I read that in Late Latin the ablative of the gerund often replaces
      participle in the so called "circumstantial or predicative
      participles" where the participle phrases are use as an equivalent to
      a clause of time, means, manner, opposition, etc.

      Doesn't the Peregrinatio use phrases similar to "Surrexit dicendo"
      for "Surrexit dicens" ? Does the Classical Latin allow BOTH
      constructions even though the pariticiple seems to be preferred?

      Peter
    • Peter
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 15, 2009
        Ignoscite mihi quia erravi. Nunc comprehendo verubum postremum in
        sententia quam scripsi "inveterascem" neque "inveterascem" esse debere.

        Petrus