Re: [LatinChat-L] I have a mustard seed...

  • Thomas F McGinnis
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 20, 2008
      In A.D. MMVIII, Feria V, a.d. xii Cal. Decembres,
      In Feria V per annum XXXIII, A.D. MMVIII,
      In emissione electronica <4924EF9D.40705@...>, Diana <d.freyberger@...> scripsit:

      >On another list, someone posted the following quote from Pope Benedict XVI:
      >
      > >>I have a mustard seed; and I am not afraid to use it.
      >
      >Then someone else asked what that would be in Latin. I made this
      >attempt, with the help of an online dictionary:
      >
      > Habeo semen sinapis, et non timeo usurpare.
      >
      >Or perhaps:
      >
      > Semen sinapis habeo, et usurpare non timeo.
      >
      >But I am sure someone here can do better than I!
      >
      >Any suggestions?

      Only that the Vulgate uses "granum sinapis" in the parables and metaphors
      referring to mustard seed.

      (That's a pretty cool quote :-) Did he really say it?)

      Tom.
      --
      //// Thomas McGinnis tee.eff.em@...
      // spes mea in Deo nunc scripsi totum da mihi potum
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 9, 2009
        Hi Tom!

        I just found your reply in the wrong email folder. I'm sorry I didn't
        thank you sooner!

        I don't know if it's a real quote, but I like it!

        Diana