Epistulae Frontonis Question, Please!

  • iconic@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 1, 2008
      I hope I'm not violating any protocol by sending this a forward to this group, and my opening comment about long time lurker and learner apply to this group, too. I should have just sent it directly as an additional address, so sorry. Any help on the query much, MUCH appreciated! Kim Cupples (long time member of both groups)
      From: iconic@... (Kim H. Cupples)
      To: ctnlatin@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Epistulae Frontonis Question, Please!
      Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2008 14:39:40 +0000
      > Hello. Long time lurker on this discussion board and I've found it very
      > helpful. I'm reading a biography of Marcus Aurelius by Anthony Birley, and like
      > his bio of Septimius Severus, it's superb. There are many excerpts of letters
      > between Marcus and his teacher Fronto and I think reading them in Latin would be
      > within my ability. I would need a facing Latin/English text, however, for the
      > rough spots (which would be not infrequent, I know!). In researching that, I
      > come across C. R. Haines's facing Latin/English in two volumes, by Loeb
      > Classical Library, now Harvard University Press. Wikipedia, however, calls
      > Haines's work "obsolete" without any further explanation of just what that
      > means. Could anyone suggest any clarification? Sorry for the long-windedness!
      > Kim Cupples
    • Ernest Sjogren
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 1, 2008
        > C. R. Haines's facing Latin/English in two volumes, by Loeb Classical
        > Library, now Harvard University Press. Wikipedia, however, calls Haines's
        > work "obsolete" without any further explanation of just what that means.
        > Could anyone suggest any clarification?

        Even if the scholarship is outdated, they're probably worth looking at. But
        that's just a guess.... Both volumes of that edition are available at google
        books; you can decide for yourself:

        http://books.google.com/books?id=BsYXAAAAMAAJ&pg=PR3&dq=fronto+mcmxix

        http://books.google.com/books?id=Ao3YulNSO2EC&pg=PP13&dq=fronto+mcmxx

        or http://tinyurl.com/46z8un and http://tinyurl.com/47hdjt

        (If the links don't work, search in google books for "fronto mcmxix" and
        "fronto mcmxx", without the quotaton marks.)

        In regard to the "outdatedness" there is a reference to these letters (p.
        16, footnote 59 in GREEK AND LATIN LETTERS, Michael Trapp, ed.), which says
        that the translation is "unreliable."

        <http://assets.cambridge.org/97805214/95974/sample/9780521495974ws.pdf>

        Ernie Sjogren

        P.S.--There seem to be a lot of editons of just the letters in Latin

        http://books.google.com/books?hl=en&id=VNrvSUG69X0C&dq=epistulae+frontonis&printsec=frontcover&source=web&ots=1wXZmJF09B&sig=vAQ-YpB9unh75bb2dvjEW0SFeUA&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=2&ct=result#PPA35,M1

        or http://tinyurl.com/4ukfaa

        or http://www.archive.org/stream/mcorneliifronton00fronuoft

        or http://www.thelatinlibrary.com/fronto.html,

        or there's a facing text and translation into French:

        http://remacle.org/bloodwolf/philosophes/fronton/table.htm

        (I'd can't remember ever having seen this site before. Thanks for asking
        your question!) Quite an interesting site, with at least part of a French
        translation of Wm. Smith's Dictionary of Classical Authors, and some
        Classical texts other than Fronto.

        From: iconic@... (Kim H. Cupples)
        To: ctnlatin@yahoogroups.com
        Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2008 14:39:40 +0000