Will you check my translation?

  • Ingrid Lövdahl
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 2 5:22 AM
      Salvete omnes!

      A friend asked me to make a translation for a tatooing.

      "lectio est causa omnis scientiae". Is it okey?
      How do you understand it in english?

      Gratiam vobis ago!

      Valete!
      Ingrid

    • Christopher Olinde
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 2 11:36 AM
           Mostly OK but you might consider something like e.g.  "LECTIO SCIENTIAE MATER" (reading is the mother of knowledge)

              CRESCIT LECTIONE SCIENTIA  (knowledge grows with reading )

              Here's a quotation from Terentianus Maurus (ca AD 200): "HABENT SUA FATE LIBELLI"  (books have a destiny of their own)   not quite the meaning you asked for, but nevertheless interesting.

               I purposely use capital letters because these were used by the ancient world.  I suggest waiting  for more ideas.  I can think of dozens of possibilities to express what you want. Of course,  a temporary tattoo might be best.  (always check my spelling---I'm writing in hast!)

        Nec vero dubitat agricola, quamvis sit senex, quaerenti cui serat respondere: 'dis immortalibus, qui me non accipere modo haec a maioribus voluerunt, sed etiam posteris prodere'.