Re: Centropia?

  • Steve Gluck
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 1, 2008
      Hi Maria,
      I created the word "centropia" to define (metaphorically) a problem
      with the "scientific method", in that it sees very small things
      clearly (with microscopes), very distant things clearly (with
      telescopes), yet has difficulty "seeing" or explaining the "human
      condition", that is, the every day lives of people - in any holistic
      way. I think it works and that "centr" is the correct prefix.
      Additional comments welcome.
      Steve

      --- In LatinChat-L@yahoogroups.com, "Mary Malone" <mkmalon@...> wrote:

      > Sequitorian:
      >
      > ops (L)/opos (Gr) = sight/eye/face
      > myein - (Gr) to close. So, ops just means "sighted" whereas myops
      > means "nearsighted" because people with this condition partially
      close
      > their eyes to see better (Galen). There is no middle-sightedness,
      just
      > having sight. spero te videre id posse. : )
      >
      > ~Maria
      >

      > --- In LatinChat-L@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Gluck" <Seq@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Quid est verbum inter "myopia" et "hyperopia". Centropia?
      > > Ago grates. (primitus epistolium)
      > > Sequitorian

    • Mary M.
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 1, 2008
        nunc video. clare. gratias.
        ~Maria

        --- In LatinChat-L@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Gluck" <Seq@...> wrote:

        > Hi Maria,
        > I created the word "centropia" to define (metaphorically) a problem
        > with the "scientific method", in that it sees very small things
        > clearly (with microscopes), very distant things clearly (with
        > telescopes), yet has difficulty "seeing" or explaining the "human
        > condition", that is, the every day lives of people - in any
        holistic
        > way. I think it works and that "centr" is the correct prefix.
        > Additional comments welcome.
        > Steve
        >

        > --- In LatinChat-L@yahoogroups.com, "Mary Malone" <mkmalon@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Sequitorian:
        > >
        > > ops (L)/opos (Gr) = sight/eye/face
        > > myein - (Gr) to close. So, ops just means "sighted" whereas
        myops
        > > means "nearsighted" because people with this condition partially
        > close
        > > their eyes to see better (Galen). There is no middle-
        sightedness,
        > just
        > > having sight. spero te videre id posse. : )
        > >
        > > ~Maria
        > >

        > > --- In LatinChat-L@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Gluck" <Seq@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > Quid est verbum inter "myopia" et "hyperopia". Centropia?
        > > > Ago grates. (primitus epistolium)
        > > > Sequitorian

      • gerardo priori
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 2, 2008
          actually, myopia means that one can see near things well but not distant things. hyperopia means that one can see distance well but not proximity. centropia would accordingly mean than one can see mid-distance well which is the opposite of the intended meaning as i interpret it. mihi scriba quid pensas de "acentropia"?

          To: LatinChat-L@yahoogroups.comFrom: Seq@...: Tue, 1 Jul 2008 13:33:30 +0000Subject: [LatinChat-L] Re: Centropia?

          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 3, 2008
            Constato; "acentropia" est firmus, verus. "Centropia" falsus est.
            S.

            --- In LatinChat-L@yahoogroups.com, gerardo priori <junkdriver@...>
            wrote:

            > actually, myopia means that one can see near things well but not
            distant things. hyperopia means that one can see distance well but
            not proximity. centropia would accordingly mean than one can see mid-
            distance well which is the opposite of the intended meaning as i
            interpret it. mihi scriba quid pensas de "acentropia"?

            > To: LatinChat-L@...: Seq@...: Tue, 1 Jul 2008 13:33:30
            +0000Subject: [LatinChat-L] Re: Centropia?