Re: [LatinChat-L] Re: Salve! A Latin imperative:

  • Óscar Vega Roldán
    Message 1 of 5 , May 2 5:35 PM
      Salve, Joshua!

      I see you have the right translations now. I want only comment that the sentence "nosce te ipsum" is a tranlation from Greek into Latin. It was written on the front of the templum of Apollon in Delfos, where people used to go and ask for a prophecy. In Greek (transliterated into latin alphabet) it reads: gnothi seauton. This was a philosophical order, for a man must have a thorough knowledge of himself for being capable of living according to his very essence.

      Lawrence <lrnormie@...> escribió:
      "Don't tread on me" = "Nolite me calcare"

      "Nosce te ipsum" = Know thyself!

      Vale,
      --Lawrence

      --- In LatinChat-L@yahoogroups.com, Joshua Lawrence
      <fiveclaw3finger@...> wrote:

      > Salve, I am new to this group, and I really do not know much Latin.
      I am trying to translate the quote "Don't tread on me" into Latin. Is
      this right?

      > Operor insisto in mihi.
      >
      > Also, what does this mean?
      >
      > nosce te ipsum
      >
      > Thanks in advance to anyone who can assist in the furthering of
      my understanding of the Latin language.

      Ansgarius Mexicanus.

      Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto (Terencio).
      Amicus fidelis protectio fortis, qui autem invenit illum, thesaurum invenit. Amico fideli non est comparatio et nulla est ponderatio contra bonitatem illius (Sir. 6, 14-15).

    • Joshua Lawrence
      Message 2 of 5 , May 2 8:07 PM
        Wow! Thank-you for the insight. I am also learning Greek so this was very helpful.

        Óscar Vega Roldán <ansgarmx@...> wrote: Salve, Joshua!